Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and was considering one with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. However I learned that Leupold is coming out with a new "MOA" reticle so I put my plans on hold. I spoke with a guy at Leupold who described it to me and when I asked if he was sure of one detail he said "I should be - I designed it". So there is some credibility there. First time I spoke to him he said it would be coming out late fall early winter this year. I checked back again recently and was told it has been held up by "legal" and they now anticipate availabillity in spring of '13. Just thought you guys would like to know.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and was considering one with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. However I learned that Leupold is coming out with a new "MOA" reticle so I put my plans on hold. I spoke with a guy at Leupold who described it to me and when I asked if he was sure of one detail he said "I should be - I designed it". So there is some credibility there. First time I spoke to him he said it would be coming out late fall early winter this year. I checked back again recently and was told it has been held up by "legal" and they now anticipate availabillity in spring of '13. Just thought you guys would like to know.
Ive had great luck with the Zeiss Conquests (own 3) Leupold Mark 4 (own 4) and Leupold VX3's with side focus (own 4).

The one thing the Conquests give up to the leupold's is the 1" vs 30mm Tube which limits the adjustment range, but out to 1,000yds with the high speed rounds most of us shoot it's no problem at all.

The Conquests with the 50mm OBJ are also incredible in low light and I think have a slight edge on the Leupold's and most others for that matter in such conditions.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

What a tragedy in Newtown Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers to all those affected. I'm in total dis belief. This is going to leave a scar in more ways than one.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
What a tragedy in Newtown Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers to all those affected. I'm in total dis belief. This is going to leave a scar in more ways than one.
I am with you on that brother. I have had to go find things to do to keep my mind off of it best I can as I get down too far.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

It's un-imagineable, makes me feel really sick and scares me to think someone would choose children of all helpless people. What is this world coming to? I'm saying some prayers.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
It's un-imagineable, makes me feel really sick and scares me to think someone would choose children of all helpless people. What is this world coming to? I'm saying some prayers.
It's both sad the moron shot children and that as he shot himself we can't string him up as a deterrent to others being morons. Eliminating soft targets would do a lot to stop this bull from happening. I feel for the parents here; I've got kids myself.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I think 2 things should come from this, one being to look closely at individuals who are mentally ill and there could be more done at that level and advocating people to own and carry weapons to protect themselves and others. I read that in Switzerland you must be trained and own a firearm to retain your citizenship. I think that's the direction we need to go. It would be one of the only ways to avoid a coming military state in the USA, because ultimately we either protect ourselves and others or we will have police and military in every public place and not be able to protect ourselves in private homes if gun restrictions continue. Look where NYC is, no firearm ownership by anyone other than law enforcement there. The crime rate especially violent is out of control in NYC.