Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308jagermeister View Post
what scope you guys using?
308jagermeister, first of all, love the screen name.
As far as glass goes, on my two latest additions, one is wearing a Leupold VX II, 6-18 AO, with target turrets. The other one is a Nikon Monarch, in 6.5-20 AO . I love both, but believe it or not, the Nikon is amazingly clear, and I can see clearly before legal lite, and way after also. They both hold zero very well, and they do return to zero.
I also have one set up with a VARI X III, 4.5-14, AO, with standard turrets. That one is amazingly clear as well.
As rifle scopes are a very personal preference, if I was in the market for another scope, I would definitely consider another Nikon Monarch. I hunted with both this past deer season and was pleased with both of the first two mentioned. Those are my two picks, and I recommend either one.
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!

P/S, as far as reticles go, I prefer standard crosshairs versus the BDC type. They are ok, but sometimes make the field of view too busy. I would rather dial it, then rely on the little circles.

Last edited by 7stw; 12-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebuck View Post
Black Sheep what is your load for the 168 LRX and what velocity are you getting with that bullet ?
82.5gr Retumbo 3268 average, ES in the teens. This is a stout load in my rifle, work your way up!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
82.5gr Retumbo 3268 average, ES in the teens. This is a stout load in my rifle, work your way up!
Black Sheep, I know that you used that bullet on your magnificent bull, and I was wondering what was the internal damage like. I used the 145 grain on a whitetail two weeks ago, and I am impressed. Just wondering what the 168 did. I have some of those coming to me soon. They have been on back order, but was told yesterday they are on their way. Take care, and thanks!!!

Bob.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Slight uphill angled shot, dialed for 390, shot at 300. Hit about 6 inches down from the top of his back right where the spine dips the lowest, (and the backstraps are the thickest) Bullet caught the bottom of the spine, and augered about a 50cent piece hole all of the way through the spine, both backstraps, and out the passenger side. I would have no reservations putting one through an Elk shoulderblade if necessary
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Here we go, as promised. When I get the full CD, I'll post the trophy shots with the rifle!!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger

Fantastic bull! Congrats on a beauty. That full freezer is going to be even more pretty.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 AM
Bronze Member

Hey 308jagermeister
, What scope do people recommend is abit like asking what is the best long range caliber???
I was told once that when it comes to optics "you get what you pay for".
Things you need to consider are weight ( are you carrying it around all day in the hills or driving to a hunting stand?), objective size ( light gathering ability in low light? 50 mm compared to a 40mm?) Cheek weld, one of several important factors in consistant accurate shooting. 50mm objective will sit higher and may require an adjustable cheek piece.
What is the minimum and the maximum range that you are wanting to shoot? this will be reflected in the magnification range you choose and the amount of elevation adjustment you will require.
One scope that is proving popular down under is a March 2.5 - 25 x 42.
Others I would consider are the bulletproof Nightforce 5.5-22x50, Leupold mark 4, VX3 etc... ( wish they would make a mark 4 in a 3-18x44) and finally a Swarovski Z5 or Z6 BT with a custom elevation turrent using a 250yard zero to help with the small ( 17 moa?) one rotation of elevation. (Great glass though.)

Regards Steve.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

I have a leupold vx-2 6x18x40 with the lr varmint reticle. Very light and sleek scope. Glass is very good. There's a guy i met on here, and he can get them or others at a price i've not seen even on gunbroker. Awesome Leupold connection. Pm and i'll pass him along to you.