Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7stw,
My 300 is a browning stainless stalker with a 6-24x b&l elite 400 on top and she is simply the plague to deer. I usually use it as my backup simply because I actually want to try my other rifles on killing something. If the other rifles puke, out comes the 300, and the critters start dying. I'm using a 165 hornady and rl22 at 3300 fps in the 300 win. It cures their ills good.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Yup, that's what I am told by a few that have been fortunate enough to go, " you may not see many, but when you do, they're usually shooters". And I'm told the hunting is hard, and damn cold at times. Going by you're outfit, I'm sure you can attest to that. Were the shots near, far, open country, or woods? A friend of mine was hunting near a gas line, or pipe, and it held a considerable amount of deer there.
Again, those two are awesome!!!! Love the. Chocolate horns on the second one!!!
Yes that is true. We hunt on the edge of the forest so some of it is Timber and some farmland. Shots can and have ranged from 500+ to under 50, just depends on the situation. Cold yes sir generally always. The day i shot mine it was -18degrees celcius, not much different in farenheight. After a three hour wait I was getting pretty cold. He was 350 yards in the bottom of the river.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Mr.Sako, awesome bucks. How does a ny er get a big game license for alberta and what is your season? Nice job.
Two options:

1. licensed outfitter
2. hunter host - not sure on all the particulars on this one as I have never done it. You have a friend here and you go hunting with them, I beleive it is fairly straight forward.

Depending on what part of the province you are hunting the rifle season can open as early as Sept. 15th and it does not end until november 30th. The majority of the province is open from Nov. 1 - 30th.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
7stw,
My 300 is a browning stainless stalker with a 6-24x b&l elite 400 on top and she is simply the plague to deer. I usually use it as my backup simply because I actually want to try my other rifles on killing something. If the other rifles puke, out comes the 300, and the critters start dying. I'm using a 165 hornady and rl22 at 3300 fps in the 300 win. It cures their ills good.
Lefty, sounds like to me that the 300 is your " old faithful ". Well, I believe everybody has one of those. In one caliber or another. I believe that rifle I put together this spring is going to become just that. That thing feels like a extension of me when I shoulder it, and it really shoots great too.
I know where there is a stainless stalker in seven mag, and also a Beautiful A Bolt in seven mag also, with a 26 inch barrel, and a gorgeous piece of wood. Those darn Brownings shoot Very well.
I am using 22 in my 300 win as well, and it seems to really like it. You would not believe the SD, ES. Good luck with the smoke pole.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Yes that is true. We hunt on the edge of the forest so some of it is Timber and some farmland. Shots can and have ranged from 500+ to under 50, just depends on the situation. Cold yes sir generally always. The day i shot mine it was -18degrees celcius, not much different in farenheight. After a three hour wait I was getting pretty cold. He was 350 yards in the bottom of the river.
OMG, I can't even imagine -18 Celsius/ farenheit, how cares at that point. It Dosent get THAT cold here, but I have hunted in - 8 degrees, but I didn't last the day. And I even thought I was well dressed. Holy sh--, that is cold my friend. I can see it in your face that it was cold.
Maybe that is why I haven't made the treck yet!!!! Well, at least the experience warmed you up, and this winter, the memories will keep you warm as well. Again, nice job!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Just bought a used STW yesterday. I knew this thread was going on here and figured it would only be a page or two, but 290 pages WHOAH i'm impressed. My gun only has a 22" barrel and I'm wanting to try the 150 Barnes TTSX. My neighbor uses this behind 73.7 grains of H4350. Says this load shoots good in both his STW's. What powder would yall recommend for a short barrel with the 150 grainers? I have a boat load of H-1000 but figure it might not be the best with the lighter bullets and shorter barrel.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
Just bought a used STW yesterday. I knew this thread was going on here and figured it would only be a page or two, but 290 pages WHOAH i'm impressed. My gun only has a 22" barrel and I'm wanting to try the 150 Barnes TTSX. My neighbor uses this behind 73.7 grains of H4350. Says this load shoots good in both his STW's. What powder would yall recommend for a short barrel with the 150 grainers? I have a boat load of H-1000 but figure it might not be the best with the lighter bullets and shorter barrel.
H-1000 is a great powder in this cal and RL25 is showing good results as well