Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
Thanks for the response, I had some 140gn Noslers ABs going out at 3240 fps in my old 7mm rem mag which killed well but didn't handle the wind very well even at 400yds. In my experience accuracy is #1 but it must be backed by a good B.C. to buck the wind down range which in return will deliver higher energy to the animal. 160gn - 180gn bullets are the better bet in 7mm STW in my mind.

Can't believe the reponses to 7mm STW Brotherhood, it appears that the 7mm STW is alive and well and will be for quite some time.
Bear, this response is on your closing statement. I have shot a ton of rifles in my lifetime, but nothing compares to the way this thing responds, and it's predictability. The recoil is surprisingly manageable, and they shoot nearly as flat as a 22-250. They handle all bullet weights, and smoke deer. When I go to the range, and a bunch of ya- hoos show up,when they ask what are you shooting, and you show them and explain what it is. You get the wows, and , that's awesome, but when they see groups that were just shot at 300 yards, their eyes pop out. I think that we are going to see more of the STW pretty soon. I think the 7 RUM is dead, and it is no secret to Remington in particular, that there is a strong need for them to " resurrect" it. I would not buy one, but at least that may put more brass on the market. They should have never dropped it. Don't mind me, I'm just ramblin'. Take care and enjoy. P/ S, yea, this is a pretty awesome thread, right up my alley!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW
Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

Woo Hoo!!

I just found out the "Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW SF in Mint condition" that I bought last week in the gun sale classifieds here on LRH is going to be delivered to my FFL dealer on Monday.

I can't wait to get it, I'm taking them both to my IWLA gun range and compare it's shooting capabilities to the Sendero 7mm STW that I already have. Then I'm probably taking all 3 of my rifles to a gun smith that was recommended to me by a member here to have some tweaking done, i.e., jewell triggers, on all three, bedding job for the 257 weatherby, skim bedding job to the Sendero I have now.

I'll probably put another Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope on it because I absolutely love these Vortex PST scopes!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Woo Hoo!!

I just found out the "Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW SF in Mint condition" that I bought last week in the gun sale classifieds here on LRH is going to be delivered to my FFL dealer on Monday.

I can't wait to get it, I'm taking them both to my IWLA gun range and compare it's shooting capabilities to the Sendero 7mm STW that I already have. Then I'm probably taking all 3 of my rifles to a gun smith that was recommended to me by a member here to have some tweaking done, i.e., jewell triggers, on all three, bedding job for the 257 weatherby, skim bedding job to the Sendero I have now.

I'll probably put another Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope on it because I absolutely love these Vortex PST scopes!

Well, you must be walking in high cotton right about now! I am happy for you, and what a feeling when you score a " Diamond " class rifle , in a awesome caliber. Now you know why I have more than one also. (3 going on 4). The one thing that I have learned about owning multiple guns in the same caliber, is that even though they are the same caliber, and in your case, and mine, the same gun,that is where the similarity ends. They each may end up withdiffernt presonalitys, or tolerances. In my case, one will only "shoot" 140's, the second likes 150's, and the Sako likes, loves 160's. That being said, and as I mentioned to another member of " our elite group", ( ha ha ) , you may even want to get another set of diesand dedicate those to the new gun, and that gun only. Another thing is keep the brass separate also. This is particularly true when you are dealing with belted magnums, that you have the resized backed off a little. Once that brass is set to your gun, and the dies to the brass, if you chamber it another rifle, it either chambers hard, ejects hard. I have had this happen to me with a couple of seven mags that I have. I have two, my son has one, his brass got mixed up with mine, and it would not chamber in mine, until we realized that the bullets were for his gun, and sized differently. Any way, contests on the new score, and enjoy it . All the best!!!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. . 7STW.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Well guys, I know that I have been banging around which way to go on what action to put the new barrel into. Some of you know most of the story which is that I bought a donar gun( 700 LSS in 300 win mag) and decided to keep it. Just to damn nice to sacrifice. Then I thought about removing the barrel from my 300 RUM Sendero. I almost did that. Well, I went to the gunshot where my gunsmith works, and HE even told me to NOT take that RUM apart. It shoots to darn good, etc. Then my son caught wind of it, and REALLY frowned about the idea. ( he wants that gun someday). So, thet have a 700 ADL, synthetic, in 7 mag, that I can own for a little over $400.00. He will remove and install the barrel and set headspace for $100.00. At that point, the gun will be without a stock, but for the time being, I can use one of the sendero, or police rifle stock until I find what I want for it. I would like a laminated , pillar bedded stock, but would consider another synthetic, but I have so many of them, that I want a nice piece of wood this time. I am sure that this is the way I am going to go this time. Just when you THINK you have things figured out, something, or somebody changes my mind. ( I hate when that happens). Take care all, just an update, on the update.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. . 7STW
Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

7stw,
Sounds like a plan, you can never have enough guns, just don't tell my wife I said that.
FE
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

I have a Sako 995 in 7stw. Anybody know what the twist rate is?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Well guys, I know that I have been banging around which way to go on what action to put the new barrel into. Some of you know most of the story which is that I bought a donar gun( 700 LSS in 300 win mag) and decided to keep it. Just to damn nice to sacrifice. Then I thought about removing the barrel from my 300 RUM Sendero. I almost did that. Well, I went to the gunshot where my gunsmith works, and HE even told me to NOT take that RUM apart. It shoots to darn good, etc. Then my son caught wind of it, and REALLY frowned about the idea. ( he wants that gun someday). So, thet have a 700 ADL, synthetic, in 7 mag, that I can own for a little over $400.00. He will remove and install the barrel and set headspace for $100.00. At that point, the gun will be without a stock, but for the time being, I can use one of the sendero, or police rifle stock until I find what I want for it. I would like a laminated , pillar bedded stock, but would consider another synthetic, but I have so many of them, that I want a nice piece of wood this time. I am sure that this is the way I am going to go this time. Just when you THINK you have things figured out, something, or somebody changes my mind. ( I hate when that happens). Take care all, just an update, on the update.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. . 7STW
I think this plan makes sense but I like you change plans weekly!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum