Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks guy's. I am very happy with both, the Sask buck carries his mass all the way to the tips. 7stw take it from me, Sask is the place to go for Whitetails hands down. You will generally not see ton's of deer, but when you do it is generally a decent buck. I have yet to connect with a Booner but at least there is a better than average chance you will run into one there.
Alberta buck rough score was 151" and Sask 156".
Getting a Euromount of the Sask buck.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vincent View Post
Mine is a Winchester Custom shop rilfe know as the classic sharpshooter II. Specs are HS Precision stock blue printed model 70 action with a 26' Schneider barrel. Sent to me with the rifle was a 5 shot group target that printed under .5 inches at 100 yards with 150g Sierra GK, 76g of RL22 with a 3.86 OAL, chrony read around 3,150 fps or so. Has any one had any good results with barnes tsx? If so any load recommendations? I purchased a few boxes of Winchester Supreme 140 CT silver tips at a fear price and am concerned with them blowing up on deer sized game. Any suggestions?
Rick, I have that same exact rifle, and it truly a treasure. I was in the process of building a custom STW this past spring, and this Custom Sharpshhooter became available. I made a few sacrifices, and now I own it.
Mine will shoot almost anything I put through it. It loves 160 Speer Grand Slams, but it shoots 140 partitions like a dream. My load data is 82.0-RL25-140 partition @ 3.630 OAL, with a 215 Federal Gold Medal primer. My velocity runs around 3370 ish, and is very accurate. You mentioned that yours has a HS Precision stock. Mine has a bedded McMillan stock, that fits it like a glove. All else is the same, Schneider stainless, blueprinted action, etc. My barrel cleans very easy, and hardly fouls. I shoot two shot groups, let it cool, fire two more. Otherwise, after the second shot, the barrel gets pretty warm, and the third shot is out, but not enough to miss a deer. She will print two shots at a half inch at 200 yards al day if I do my part.
Your second question about the TSX is most decidedly a yes from me anyway, and a few other " brothers" here as well. My sharpshooter also shot that bullet also with the same formula as above, using the 140 TSX. My bullet of choice is the Barns LRX in 145 grain. Nice rifle there my friend, and " Welcome to The Brotherhood".

Bob.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Thanks guy's. I am very happy with both, the Sask buck carries his mass all the way to the tips. 7stw take it from me, Sask is the place to go for Whitetails hands down. You will generally not see ton's of deer, but when you do it is generally a decent buck. I have yet to connect with a Booner but at least there is a better than average chance you will run into one there.
Alberta buck rough score was 151" and Sask 156".
Getting a Euromount of the Sask buck.
Yup, that's what I am told by a few that have been fortunate enough to go, " you may not see many, but when you do, they're usually shooters". And I'm told the hunting is hard, and damn cold at times. Going by you're outfit, I'm sure you can attest to that. Were the shots near, far, open country, or woods? A friend of mine was hunting near a gas line, or pipe, and it held a considerable amount of deer there.
Again, those two are awesome!!!! Love the. Chocolate horns on the second one!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

WOW, do you guys believe we have 2020 replies in this thread? I just rad back through some of our posts, and it amazes me how some of us have " evolved " as friends, and our shooting skills and load info sharing. And even the viewers numbers is huge also. Pretty impressive " Brothers".
Happy Holidays to all!!!

Bob
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Mr.Sako, awesome bucks. How does a ny er get a big game license for alberta and what is your season? Nice job.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Lefty, I think your going to be happy with that load. Good bullet, great powder, and velocity to boot.
I tried that AA8700 a long time ago. I never could get it to shoot right, and it is hard to lite too. Velocities all over the place too. I really love the RL25. that stuff is as near to perfect for this case as anything else I've used. I was a die hard RL 22 fan for a long time, and finally gave the 25 a try, and I've never looked back. The 22 runs good in my sons 7 mag, and my 300 win mag. And yeah, I'd say you probably will get a little " muzzle flash" with a 24 inch barrel in either caliber mentioned. Maybe try a little faster burn rate to off set the shorter barrel. 7828 ?. Just a thought. Take care.
Sorry, not me this time-- between working and trying to stuff a deer with the smoke-pole I haven't been as active here lately. I ended up using my 300 win this year on a 500+ yard kill on a trotting deer in a cross wind (oh, the agony- had to use the 300 win- the rifle I've killed nearly 20 deer with). Not a one shot kill but a deer on top of the truck with my wife and two sons with. I'm going back to square one with the 7stw and going to go for broke; it'll make me broke if I don't get it going pretty soon though. I'm starting to fathom tossing everything but the action in file 13 and building the rifle over, but it IS a moa rifle so I guess I may be a bit harsh on it.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Sorry, not me this time-- between working and trying to stuff a deer with the smoke-pole I haven't been as active here lately. I ended up using my 300 win this year on a 500+ yard kill on a trotting deer in a cross wind (oh, the agony- had to use the 300 win- the rifle I've killed nearly 20 deer with). Not a one shot kill but a deer on top of the truck with my wife and two sons with. I'm going back to square one with the 7stw and going to go for broke; it'll make me broke if I don't get it going pretty soon though. I'm starting to fathom tossing everything but the action in file 13 and building the rifle over, but it IS a moa rifle so I guess I may be a bit harsh on it.
Lefty, I saw that I had mis addressed that reply, afterwards but was unable to edit it. I looked real quick when I created it, and I thought I was talking to you. ( sorry dude).
You will find the cure I'm sure on your STW soon . Sometimes they run us around the bush to find what it wants, but in the long run, it will be worth it. Good job on the 500 yard shot. I only had to shot a little under 300 this year.
I think Santa is bringing me a larger rangefinder this year!!!!!! Last year I got coal!!! Ha ha .