Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS...might be beter off not listing loads from
the old days with aa8700 the primers got the worst of those " figuring loads out" days... setled on 81 gr of re 25 behind swift scirocco 150 gn @3350
have built 3 sepertate stw rifles all for hunting started in 1993-94 ish
got bitten by laynes shooting time article from 1989...held back for awhile
LAYNE ALWAYS PROMOTES 26" TUBES i prefer 24" for hunting
have a 24" stainless from a 257 wby that will soon become a 257 stw
with all the blast in a 24" barrel .... i say let it burn
this case is not for everyone but i like it
I love the7mm Stw but I built a 257stw and the results were not that great
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS...might be beter off not listing loads from
the old days with aa8700 the primers got the worst of those " figuring loads out" days... setled on 81 gr of re 25 behind swift scirocco 150 gn @3350
have built 3 sepertate stw rifles all for hunting started in 1993-94 ish
got bitten by laynes shooting time article from 1989...held back for awhile
LAYNE ALWAYS PROMOTES 26" TUBES i prefer 24" for hunting
have a 24" stainless from a 257 wby that will soon become a 257 stw
with all the blast in a 24" barrel .... i say let it burn
this case is not for everyone but i like it
Lefty, I think your going to be happy with that load. Good bullet, great powder, and velocity to boot.
I tried that AA8700 a long time ago. I never could get it to shoot right, and it is hard to lite too. Velocities all over the place too. I really love the RL25. that stuff is as near to perfect for this case as anything else I've used. I was a die hard RL 22 fan for a long time, and finally gave the 25 a try, and I've never looked back. The 22 runs good in my sons 7 mag, and my 300 win mag. And yeah, I'd say you probably will get a little " muzzle flash" with a 24 inch barrel in either caliber mentioned. Maybe try a little faster burn rate to off set the shorter barrel. 7828 ?. Just a thought. Take care.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM

Mine is a Winchester Custom shop rilfe know as the classic sharpshooter II. Specs are HS Precision stock blue printed model 70 action with a 26' Schneider barrel. Sent to me with the rifle was a 5 shot group target that printed under .5 inches at 100 yards with 150g Sierra GK, 76g of RL22 with a 3.86 OAL, chrony read around 3,150 fps or so. Has any one had any good results with barnes tsx? If so any load recommendations? I purchased a few boxes of Winchester Supreme 140 CT silver tips at a fear price and am concerned with them blowing up on deer sized game. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

These pics do not belong here as neither of these bucks were killed with my STW but this is hands down the best thread on this entire site so I thought it was only fitting to put them here. The first pic is my Alberta Whitetail shot on Remembrance day here in Canada (Nov. 11) and the second pic is my Saskatchewan Whitetail shot Nov. 29th on the last day of my hunt. Enjoy and I promise next year only STW harvests!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-photo.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-sask-buck.jpg  

Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
These pics do not belong here as neither of these bucks were killed with my STW but this is hands down the best thread on this entire site so I thought it was only fitting to put them here. The first pic is my Alberta Whitetail shot on Remembrance day here in Canada (Nov. 11) and the second pic is my Saskatchewan Whitetail shot Nov. 29th on the last day of my hunt. Enjoy and I promise next year only STW harvests!!
Who cares Brother ......Nice Deer
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Sako, I will ditto my brother," Butterbeans" statement. Who f^*>! ing cares what they were shot with. That first one is a brute. Alberta is one of my bucket list locations that I want to hunt before I take a dirt nap. I would need to take a garden hose to myself after taking one of those. Awesome dude. So we will forgive you for not making the harvest with a STW, but don't do it again Enjoy the memories, and have a wonderful holiday season!!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Sako 75, very nice bucks. I agree, " Who cares what you shot them with?" Hang with the brotherhood.