Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Bob,
Congrats on the deer you and your son got last week. I'm glad the LRX bullets performed perfect for you.

I would love to see some pics and you elaborating the story how the deer were killed.
gamehawker,
There are pix on the previous page that show the results of the LRX bullet, but I have a story to share with all that have shared time in the woods with there children. I took my 19 year old with me to Maryland last week. We hunted day in, day out, for nearly six days and were unable to put anything in the crosshairs. Finally, and the seventh day, we we able to hunt on my cousins farm, in Girdletree, MD. We were both in the same blind, and two does came out at the last few minutes of light at 292 yards. I had to turn around quietly and get into position to get a shot. It seemed like it took forever, but finally I got there. Well, he decided he wanted to shoot the deer on the left, and I obviously took the deer on the right. I had him settle his crosshairs, and to tell me when he was on. He said he was set, and I counted to three, and we both fired at almost the same time. I saw both deer collapse, and we celebrated quietly, as my other cousin was across the field from us still hunting. Moments later, he too got a doe as well.
I can't even begin describe the feeling that went through me, when we did that together. I knew that the possibility was there that we might have to hunt from the same blind, and had talked about the scenario if two deer showed up at once. Well, talk about a plan coming together!!! That hunt will remain in our memory forever. It was well worth the wait. Take care to all, and take the kids hunting too! You"ll never forget it either.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

I like the stock too! Tgat's your rem right? I'm going to load the barnes original for hogs and bear only. Or, can they be coated to reduce fouling? I guess I can use lrx, tsx or accubonds and amax's seem good for hunting with stw. Mine shoots them nice. Opinions, tsx or ttsx?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I like the stock too! Tgat's your rem right? I'm going to load the barnes original for hogs and bear only. Or, can they be coated to reduce fouling? I guess I can use lrx, tsx or accubonds and amax's seem good for hunting with stw. Mine shoots them nice. Opinions, tsx or ttsx?
Yup, that's the Remington action, and the Bobby Hart stock. That stock is really awesome, and was very steady in the field situations.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post

Hi Ed,
TTSX has a higher BC and if you are wanting them to fit in your mag you are going to have to seat them further in the case but the good news is that TSXs don't mind jumping so as usual it comes down to what works best for you.
As for coating X bullets I wouldn't bother, just something else to worry about.

Regards Steve.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Steve, I think I have the understanding of the "x" and tsx bullets now. I am going to get some tsx and lrx and see how they shoot.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

350lb pig killed in South Georgia. 160gr accubond behind the ear 1 shot dead. Also shot a 50lb piglet and it was just about blown in 2. Both were at 120yds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
gamehawker,
There are pix on the previous page that show the results of the LRX bullet, but I have a story to share with all that have shared time in the woods with there children. I took my 19 year old with me to Maryland last week. We hunted day in, day out, for nearly six days and were unable to put anything in the crosshairs. Finally, and the seventh day, we we able to hunt on my cousins farm, in Girdletree, MD. We were both in the same blind, and two does came out at the last few minutes of light at 292 yards. I had to turn around quietly and get into position to get a shot. It seemed like it took forever, but finally I got there. Well, he decided he wanted to shoot the deer on the left, and I obviously took the deer on the right. I had him settle his crosshairs, and to tell me when he was on. He said he was set, and I counted to three, and we both fired at almost the same time. I saw both deer collapse, and we celebrated quietly, as my other cousin was across the field from us still hunting. Moments later, he too got a doe as well.
I can't even begin describe the feeling that went through me, when we did that together. I knew that the possibility was there that we might have to hunt from the same blind, and had talked about the scenario if two deer showed up at once. Well, talk about a plan coming together!!! That hunt will remain in our memory forever. It was well worth the wait. Take care to all, and take the kids hunting too! You"ll never forget it either.
Bob,

What a wonderful story and pics. Nice shooting to 292 yards, that LRX bullet devastated that deer!

It is awesome that you and your son shot the deer simultaneously! Fantastic memories you and your son will have a lifetime!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope