Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Congrats on the very nice buck! Are you saying that you rarely get exit wounds with the accubonds? I am still using partitions and have never recovered one from a deer. I thought the accubond performance was supposed to be the same?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Looks like lots more destruction than I would have expected from a bonded bullet.

Jim
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Personally I haven't used many of the AB's in anything other than the 110 in .257. That said the picture shows about exactly the results I have gotten with them.

My daughter has shot more deer with them than I have, but I have shot more hogs with them than she has. Our load has them running right at 3200fps from the muzzle. On the hogs, they do a real number even if no bone is hit, but they will not put one down reliably enough for me and I have told her not to use them on them unless she can put it right through their ear. The rifle is easily capable but the distance and conditions sometimes don't cooperate with that type of precision. I don't mind loosing a boar on occasion, but if it is good sized sow, I want it right where it is when I drop the hammer.

I have both some 154 and 160'ish grain Hornady bonded cores which I am looking to pay with a bit, either right at the end of deer season or just after it, on the hogs. I am hopeful they will preform a bit better than the AB's with regard to the explosive nature. I have seen with the SST in some calibers, react better than the BT's with this in mind, but haven't bumped up to anything with this weight and velocity capability just yet. I am hopeful however they do well.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Nice pics 41 mag.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Been some nice bucks killed since I have had a chance to get on this thread. Congrats to all. I am really appreciating the photos of the bullets performance as selecting the right bullet for this beast has turned into a real nightmare. Bergers are - - - - imho unless your shooting something big and slow. I didnt buy a STW for slow. I was looking at the Accubonds and will try the new Accubond LR's when they get released. Right now though I am thinking of going back to the good ol 140gr TSX not TTSX.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM

My experience with the Accubonds makes me think they should have named them AccuboMBs. I have gotten a couple of exits, but only on very close shots that didn't hit heavy bone. The others have been more like this buck, there was a hole in the ribs on the opposite side, but no exit. I just found pieces of the jacket under the hide. I can't really complain too much, I have not lost a single deer hit them them, and none has gone over 25 yards either. Dead is dead, but I guess I read too many magazines growing up talking about exit wounds and perfect mushrooms.

Jason
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

I definitely agree with the comment "dead is dead". However my experience with Accubonds on elk is that they make it through the near side rib cage and then totally disintegrate leaving no exit wound. These are the most consistently accurate bullet that I've shot. Wild game is too important to my diet to loose a front quarter because my bullet blew up.

I have had very good luck with the new Barnes TTSX on moose and elk in both .338 caliber and .30 caliber. This is on shots from 30 yards to over 400 yards. All kills have been pass throughs and all bullets
have expanded leaving at least a twice the caliber exit wound.

I purchased some 168 gr. 7mm Barnes LRX bullets for my STW but so far I have not found any load data.
I reluctantly used 160 gr. Accubonds this season with the same explosive performance, DRT but lots of wasted meat.