Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks Bobs -

The budget depends on the value for the buck. Yes, I would consider semi-custom build, with a cost of something like between $2500-$3000 for components and labor. I haven't had a semi-custom rifle built before. Does that sound about right? This is an extension of option B, but with me not really doing any of the work.

Do you have someone in mind?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? What kind of cartridge COAL do you have?

I am open to several types of builds, the one I choose will depend on what I learn about options for stocks and magazine options.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonR View Post
Thanks Bobs -

The budget depends on the value for the buck. Yes, I would consider semi-custom build, with a cost of something like between $2500-$3000 for components and labor. I haven't had a semi-custom rifle built before. Does that sound about right? This is an extension of option B, but with me not really doing any of the work.

Do you have someone in mind?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? What kind of cartridge COAL do you have?

I am open to several types of builds, the one I choose will depend on what I learn about options for stocks and magazine options.
Jason, first of all, welcome to the " Brotherhood". Also, you may be on the right track with the Savage option. They are truly tough to beat in the versatility department. And the barrel options nowadays is awesome.
I used to shoot a few Savage rifles, and used to also be a member of Savage Shooters - Home. There you will find the nuts and bolts of how to, and also WHO to build your build, should you go the Savage route. As far as value for the buck, that can't be beat if you do go that route.
You asked a few questions in your earlier post on case OAL. In a remy action, your max is going to be in the 3.688 area, in a Winchester action, it will be at around 3.630. I am not sure what the OAL would be in a Savage. I used to know, but have forgot.
The STW is a truly awesome cartridge, and once you find what it wants to eat, it will give you goosebumps when you see the groups, and when you shoot a game animal, it is like lightning struck it!!!! Pretty much everyone here will tell you the same.
I personally have a few completely stock rifles, a semi custom, a full custom, and a factory custom shop rifle. They always amaze, and aren't really hard to get to shoot . You will not be disappointed .
Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! AND A TURKEY COMA TONITE!!!!

On my way to the deer woods tonite guys, and can't wait. Good luck to all if your season hasn't started yet. GOBBLE GOBBLE !
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Jason - what is your budget? and would you consider a semi custom rifle on a Rem 700 action?
I built on a remington 700 action and love it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-image.jpg  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post

On my way to the deer woods tonite guys, and can't wait. Good luck to all if your season hasn't started yet. GOBBLE GOBBLE !
Bob,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU TOO!

I hope and wish you Good Luck on your deer hunting in Maryland that is about ready to begin!

I can't wait to see your posts and pictures on the results of your successful deer slaying!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 AM

7stw -
Thanks for the welcome. I am excited build a 7stw - it should be more popular. The Savage can be fed from the 338 LM CIP mag (3.75") so I'm sure it is good to go. I really like this option, except for the limited options for stocks. I just confirmed that this can be done for Rem 700 (CDI Precision), too.

Since my first post, Option D is now looking like the way to go. Option D is to turn my Rem 700 action into a ... some of you might want to turn away ... a barrel nut rifle. The action will be accurized and I will have two barrels (and two bolts). A 270, which is what I normally hunt with and a 7 mm STW. I like this option because I have been meaning to accurize and rebarrel my 270, I'm confortable with the barrel-nut idea (I do this with Savages already), and I will have more options for stocks, etc.

Please tell me no one is loading longer than 3.75" cartridges. I am thinking about the 180 gr Bergers, specifically.

James - Your rifle looks great. I really like the style. I might end up going with the Rem option, after all.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I may get another chance Saturday on deer as it is my last weekend here in N.D.. I'll be bringing my 300 win and possibly the stw but the stw does need more work IMO before I really trust it in the field.