Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kiser View Post
I've got a custom stw with a 28" kreiger barrel at 1-9.5 twist. I do reload for this and have shot pretty good groups. I use 168gr berger vld 76.4gr of h1000 3.615 coal. What are y'all finding is the most accurate out of y'all's STW? My loves bergers, accubonds, and sometimes AMAXs. I'm not a speed freak, I want accurate. I use this gun for hunting deer anywhere from 50-800 yds.
If the tsx's butterbean mentioned don't fly true an accubond or sierra will. I'd start at rl25 in any case.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 AM

Well like the rest of yall i love this round. I have a remington blueprinted #4 ss shilen shrewd brake b&c medalist marine tex. mine loves 140gr nosler bt with a dose of ramshot magnum powder. deer dont move plain and simple. Shes been named Great Sadness. Because a Great Sadness falls across the land when the safety comes off.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've got a custom stw with a 28" kreiger barrel at 1-9.5 twist. I do reload for this and have shot pretty good groups. I use 168gr berger vld 76.4gr of h1000 3.615 coal. What are y'all finding is the most accurate out of y'all's STW? My loves bergers, accubonds, and sometimes AMAXs. I'm not a speed freak, I want accurate. I use this gun for hunting deer anywhere from 50-800 yds.
James, I have been shooting the STW for about 16 years and have have shot about everything , and the bullet that intrigues me the most is the Barnes TSX, TTSX, and of recent the LRX. This bullet is extremely accurate, and smokin fast. I am told of complete pass throughs with total devastation internally. I will find out soon, as my season starts the Saturday after T day. The 145 LRX is 1.430 long, has a BC of .486 and my velocity ave is 3440 with no pressure. I have a few targets with .5 groups at 200 yards.
Additionally , I have a rifle that also shoots a 140 partition like a dream. The partition needs no intro, as it is the ultimate in killing power. A lot of people can't get them to shoot as well as they would like, but if you get one to shoot well, look no further, they will not fail. Last but certainly not least, is the nosler CT bullet, ( AKA, ballistic silver tip). These bullets will smoke a deer, but sometimes make a mess.
As for powders, my go too powder for the longest time has always been RL 22. Well, I have recently and decidedly switched to RL25. I am getting excellent velocity, and less pressure spikes. Also, the 25 seems to be less temp sensitive as the 22 is. Hope this is usable info.
Happy Thanksgiving , and Welcome to " The Brotherhood" .
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
TO ALL OF THE " BRETHREN",
First of all, I don't know why this reply is showing up as a direct reply to the above poster, but anyway!!!
I just wanted to say that , here we are, a few days before Thanksgiving. My hunting gear is packed, my guns are locked and packed in flight cases, bullets loaded, and anxiety in full force. This year seems like it dragged through the summer, and when September rolled around, then the time flew. I leave for my hunting trip Thanksgiving nite. I will drive through the nite, and arrive in MD early Friday morning, get my license,sight my gun, and also my son is joining me as well. ( my 19 year old crack shot).
Really, the purpose of this post, is to wish to all a successful hunting season if yours hasn't started yet, and if it has started, or finished, I hope all is going, or went well. Additionally, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving, and a great holiday season, as it about to officially begin. Take care to all!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Good luck hope you slip the trigger my friend
Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM

New to the site but have been reading alot of good stuff here
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Well another deer met its fate at the hands of a 7stw and 162 grain amax. I let a buddy of mine shoot one this evening at 585 yds DRT. As is the norm for everyone I have let shoot it one of his first phrases was " I gotta get one of those". I giggle like a little girl when I watch one of my buddies shoot one over 500 and see the look on their face. He also told me it doesnt really seam fair.