Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1807  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 43
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Finally got mine tuned in after the rechamber. Went back to what she liked originally and worked the 162gr A-Max. The .625 BC didn't hurt me. Anyhow, she came in right at max and started showing pressure at .5 above so we backed off to .5 grain under and groups came in. (76.5 of IMR 7828 at 3.635 OAL with the Federal 215M) She preferred 50/20/50 in/lbs on the action screws best. Leaving the third screw out on the M70 didn't do as well as 20in/lbs on the center screw. The entire action is bedded and it likes a tight hold. The real surprise was on brass prep. Bumping the shoulder .001 yielded 2" groups at 250 and full sizing with some cam over tightened her to .55 at 250. I replicated this on back to back days this weekend so I know it's for real.

Go figure. The more I shoot, the more I realize these guns are all different and you just can't tell what they want. This is why I always refer to my guns as "she".......



Game over. Ready for bear and deer.
Reply With Quote
  #1808  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 55
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

this is my baby 7mmstw 29inch 1-9 broughton barrel heavy palm taper , Bat action , manners mcs-t4a , williams bottom metal , 5.5 x22 56mm nightforce scope . got 1 deer at 560 yards with it only made it 10 foot and lost the front shoulder . i shoot 162 a-max at 3092 fps 77.4 gn of h1000 nosler brass i got it tight neck of .309 . i like to work on a little better load then what i am using fps veys by about 15 fps but groups good it able to shoot better then i can i put 4 out of 5 in the same hole at 200 yards. i also playing with wincheser brass but it shoots about the same
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-7mm-stw-001.jpg  

Last edited by yamadog; 11-05-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: forgot to write something else
Reply With Quote
  #1809  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush4646 View Post
Where would I start with RL-25. I have been using 82grs. of RL-22 with a 140gr. bullet with great results(case life is 2 maybe three firings but I don't care). I had my 7mmSTW built in 1990 by H-S Precision but the barrel is showing signs that it might want to retire like me. I have some RL-25 so I am game to try it.
Thanks,Brush


PS: I didn't buy a race horse to pull a plow
Brush4646, to be clear on my first reply, the load with 82-RL22-140 is quite stiff, and I would avoid it like the plague. NOW, you can more then likely use that amount of RL25, but definitely not 22. That was my intention on my reply, by saying that I was using 25, and not to be confused with that amount of 22.
Just a clarification.
All that being said, using 22' you are easily over 65000 psi, probably knocking on 70'000's door. Reloder 22 is a great powder in this round, but I don't recommend much over 79-80 grains, with a 140 bullet. It's just a little too close to the edge.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1810  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Finally got mine tuned in after the rechamber. Went back to what she liked originally and worked the 162gr A-Max. The .625 BC didn't hurt me. Anyhow, she came in right at max and started showing pressure at .5 above so we backed off to .5 grain under and groups came in. (76.5 of IMR 7828 at 3.635 OAL with the Federal 215M) She preferred 50/20/50 in/lbs on the action screws best. Leaving the third screw out on the M70 didn't do as well as 20in/lbs on the center screw. The entire action is bedded and it likes a tight hold. The real surprise was on brass prep. Bumping the shoulder .001 yielded 2" groups at 250 and full sizing with some cam over tightened her to .55 at 250. I replicated this on back to back days this weekend so I know it's for real.

Go figure. The more I shoot, the more I realize these guns are all different and you just can't tell what they want. This is why I always refer to my guns as "she".......



Game over. Ready for bear and deer.
Lycan, that is a smokin' rig, and I REALLY like Winchester actions. In fact, my next build is going to be on one!!!( oops" I let the cat out of the bag).
The only thing I would like to throw out there, is that 7828 might not be your PRIME choice for the bullet you are shooting. With another type of powder, you can get LESS pressure, and the same or more velocity.
And I really do get the part about referring to your guns as " she". And yeah, they damn sure can be finicky, but I am Happy to say that I've got mine figured out. ( well, most of the time anyway). Just as a BTW, try some RL 25 in that rig, and some 215 GM primers. You'll like it, and your gun will Love it!!!! Take care my friend, and good luck hunting!!!!!!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1811  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 43
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Lycan, that is a smokin' rig, and I REALLY like Winchester actions. In fact, my next build is going to be on one!!!( oops" I let the cat out of the bag).
The only thing I would like to throw out there, is that 7828 might not be your PRIME choice for the bullet you are shooting. With another type of powder, you can get LESS pressure, and the same or more velocity.
And I really do get the part about referring to your guns as " she". And yeah, they damn sure can be finicky, but I am Happy to say that I've got mine figured out. ( well, most of the time anyway). Just as a BTW, try some RL 25 in that rig, and some 215 GM primers. You'll like it, and your gun will Love it!!!! Take care my friend, and good luck hunting!!!!!!
I thought about it, but wasn't sure I could get RL25 to speed with only 24.5 inches of barrel. She's singing 3200 right now.
Reply With Quote
  #1812  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadog View Post
this is my baby 7mmstw 29inch 1-9 broughton barrel heavy palm taper , Bat action , manners mcs-t4a , williams bottom metal , 5.5 x22 56mm nightforce scope . got 1 deer at 560 yards with it only made it 10 foot and lost the front shoulder . i shoot 162 a-max at 3092 fps 77.4 gn of h1000 nosler brass i got it tight neck of .309 . i like to work on a little better load then what i am using fps veys by about 15 fps but groups good it able to shoot better then i can i put 4 out of 5 in the same hole at 200 yards. i also playing with wincheser brass but it shoots about the same
Yamadog, that thing looks ferocious. And apparently it shoots that way too. Very nice build, and excellent choice of components. If you are wanting to continue with the 160 class bullets, the H1000 is a good choice. Reloder 25 is a good choice as well. I have personally had very good luck with Winchester brass, but that is getting rare now. Remington brass is getting a little available. Maybe someday, Lapua, or Norma will produce some good brass choices for us. I haven't tried Nosler. I have heard mixed reviews so far.
Anyway, congrats on the rig, and Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1813  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I thought about it, but wasn't sure I could get RL25 to speed with only 24.5 inches of barrel. She's singing 3200 right now.
Yup, your right, and I wasn't aware of that. You might have mentioned that, I just assumed 26 inches. Maybe H1000, but that may be too slow also. My uncle uses it in his 300 win mag, with 24 inch barrel, and gets good velocity. But the old saying goes, if if ain't broke, don't fix it. Again, nice rig, love them Winchester actions.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.51%
79 Votes
NO - 50.62%
123 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.87%
41 Votes
Total Votes: 243
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC