Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

hello all, I'm a new member who now has a reason to join I guess. I am waiting to pick up my never fired Winchester model 70 7mm STW that I purchased for $750 It's one of the few that winchester made I believe in 88' and or 89', If im wrong let me know, anyways I guide blacktail and bear hunts up in northern ca every year and have always shot a .270. So can somebody tell me what am I in store for with my new toy, and whats a good but under $1000.00 scope I can put on this beast? Do I Port it or Magna brake it and or nothing?. The trigger has already been done and it is really nice. What can do to this thing to make it even better?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHog View Post
hello all, I'm a new member who now has a reason to join I guess. I am waiting to pick up my never fired Winchester model 70 7mm STW that I purchased for $750 It's one of the few that winchester made I believe in 88' and or 89', If im wrong let me know, anyways I guide blacktail and bear hunts up in northern ca every year and have always shot a .270. So can somebody tell me what am I in store for with my new toy, and whats a good but under $1000.00 scope I can put on this beast? Do I Port it or Magna brake it and or nothing?. The trigger has already been done and it is really nice. What can do to this thing to make it even better?
Welcome to the brotherhood and congrats on the new Winchester model 70 7mm STW. Fellow brother "7STW" I know has a wealth of "hands on experience" and info on Winchesters so he is the person to ask and I'm sure he will give some here.

For recommending a $1,000.00 scope I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes on each of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STWs. The set-up I use on each of them is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and low Burris 30mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well with the recoil and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it out to over 1,400 yards if I want. I absolutely love my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes!

Below are a few pictures of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifles with the set-up I mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_1.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_2.jpg  

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-twin-senderos-7mm-stw_3.jpg  

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why port an stw? It doesn't really need it. If you can take 7rem or 300 win recoil without turning into a flinching idiot, you will be fine behind your 7stw winny. Is it a synthetic stock; if so it may need attention, such as throwing away/replacing. If it is wood you should be fine. I'd peruse the loads in the thread as most of us have just a wee bit of time "behind the wheel" with these rifles, but rl 22-25-33, or h1000-retumbo are the starter powders of choice unless you have a stash of 5010 laying around. As to scopes, I run Bushnell elite 4200 8-32x on mine; some are using leopold, vortex, nikon. All are good to great but YOU need to like it.
Have fun and treat it well,
the stw is a heck of a round
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Dang, gamehawker, those look like my old stw (you didn't happen to buy one of those from Cabelas this spring, did you??). I loved that pipe and still wish I had it. I'm thinking in a year or two I'll build a lefty version of the sendero in 7stw.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
First things first, you stole it, and that thing should be a shooter. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the year was probably 1998-99. The " STW" was legitimized in 97 or so. It don't matter!!!! You have a jewel, and it won't let you down if you feed it right. Loading info is a plenty here on this site, and a lot of " bros " willing to help you out. I have a Winchester M70 custom Sharpshooter. This gun is a sweetheart. It handles great, carries well, and shoots like a dream.
As far as the scope goes, well, the sky is the limit, and everybody has their own preference as to power, and size. In this caliber, I like something in a variable, with a high power of about 16-18.
Before you put a brake on it, shoot it to see if you need it. Brakes are very loud, and are more annoying then the recoil.( IMHO ).
Other than that, just enjoy it. That rifle will bring you lots of satisfaction, and if you are not careful, it might even give you goosebumps once in a while. ( mine do, and have for about 15 years).
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I placed link of identical rifle, except mine has never been shot this one is used. Stocks pretty nice I think

Cabela's: Winchester Model 70 Custom 7mm STW Zoom
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone! I placed link of identical rifle, except mine has never been shot this one is used. Stocks pretty nice I think

Cabela's: Winchester Model 70 Custom 7mm STW Zoom
Does yours have the fluted barrel?
Nice looking rifle dude. That's a jewel!!!