Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
+ 1
24 inch is fine for the stw.... 26 inch is a bit better, but I wouldn't be worried.

I'm at mid load on the 171 barnes and cranking 2950 fps in a 24" barrel.

Going deer hunting with my 7stw in a week and a half...I am using the 171 barnes Match and rl25 since it does better at 200 yards. Will shoot for better results next year load wise but three three shot groups averaging 1 moa at 200 yards is good enough in my book. Especially with the gusty wind on friday here when the groups were shot.
MOA at 200 is awesome with out the wind so I would call that load is on the money........
Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
Hey STW,
You,ve got a great result there, Barnes will want you on there team.
One question, Where did you get your Federal brass?

Regards Steve.
Steve, I actually bought some factory ammo, in 7 STW from a fella' that had sold his rifle, and had only factory ammo. He did not reload. I bought two boxes of A Square ammo, and 4 boxes of Federal Premium. Some had 160 Sierras, and two were 150 Bear Claw. I used most of what I kept to foul and clean when I broke in this barrel. Then I had once fired brass to boot!!!! As it worked out, this brass seems to have good life.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Good stuff 145 grains at that speed means drt. At what speed in the decent and yardage do they lose their whitetail killing power? Do you think new rem brass will work okay?
Ed, I truly don't know where it will run out of steam, or lethality. With the BC being pretty high, it is going to cover some ground before it sheds to much, but, IMHO, 800 yards dosen't seem to be out of the question. However, if that were to be a strong option, I probably would opt for the 168 bullet.
Where I am hunting, and What I am hunting makes the 145 bullet ideal for my situation. This thing is going to be like " deer lightning".
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Nice!
Gamehawker, thanks for the comment.
how did you make out on your early hunt? Hope all is well, and take care.
Twenty four days to go...... Can't wait!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Ed, I truly don't know where it will run out of steam, or lethality. With the BC being pretty high, it is going to cover some ground before it sheds to much, but, IMHO, 800 yards dosen't seem to be out of the question. However, if that were to be a strong option, I probably would opt for the 168 bullet.
Where I am hunting, and What I am hunting makes the 145 bullet ideal for my situation. This thing is going to be like " deer lightning".
I'll second the 800yrd shot but that would be all the farther I personally would want to push it
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
MOA at 200 is awesome with out the wind so I would call that load is on the money........
1 moa, so 2" at 200 in a cold gusty wind. Good but it'll do better. That load has shot more than one 1/4" group at 100 yards. I'm still not sure if that bullet can take hot weather, but it isn't a heatwave this year so I'm trying it out. I am bringing my 300 out too; my wife gives me guff if I don't bring that rifle out- I've killed more with that rifle than my other rifles combined.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
1 moa, so 2" at 200 in a cold gusty wind. Good but it'll do better. That load has shot more than one 1/4" group at 100 yards. I'm still not sure if that bullet can take hot weather, but it isn't a heatwave this year so I'm trying it out. I am bringing my 300 out too; my wife gives me guff if I don't bring that rifle out- I've killed more with that rifle than my other rifles combined.
You gotta stick with what works for you Bud ........ Just hang in there with the STW ......It wont let you down