Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

pillars in on the lhstw.
gonna play with it next weekend
Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
ANOTHER RANGE REPORT***
Hey guys, finally was able to get some range time this weekend with the Sharpshooter, and my new build that I had put together in the spring.
Well, the Sharpshooter has shown me that it likes 140 class bullets, and today was basically a review, using another bullet which is the 140 Partition. I have been very happy with the TSX, but I had a few , and thought I would give them a try,as I have not shot them in this rifle. ( until now). Well, long story short, I may give them a whirl in November. My standard load for 140 weight is 79.3-rl22, and a 215 primer @ 3.624 in the Winchester. Well, I got three back to back sub half inch groups. I also shot the TSX load as well, and it shot awesome as well.
So, onto the Custom gun. I have been experimenting with 154 spire points, and RL25 with promising results, but the weather got too hot, so I held off until today, when time availed, and temps cooler. Temp was about 55. Load was 81.8-RL25-150 BT, 215 GM, and once fired federal premium brass. Well, shot the same target twice, with three shot groups,and you can barely see the third hole from the first group. range was 100 yards. It is basically a ragged hole SIX SHOT GROUP. Pix may follow, with a little help from another brother. OAL was 3.688. Sorry for the long read, as it's been a while since I was able to shoot, due to weather, or work. But I was rather happy with the results, and wanted to pass along the info. Just another reminder of why we love this caliber. Take care to all.
Sounds like some Awesome Shooting!

I can't wait to see the pics!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

Heres 7STW's latest group .........Awesome shooting Brother
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-150-bts.jpg  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
WOW!!!

Incredible shooting!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
I haven't really shot this thing much since I got it, cause the weather got hot shortly after I received it. I did do a little shooting with the 154 Hornady, and was optimistic on it, and knowing I would fine tune it in the fall.
I have some 150 BT's that I have for my sons 7 mag, and I thought I would try a few. The picture is worth a thousand words, ( at least to me). That is a honest 6 shots. To be honest, the other groups that occupied the remaining bulls eyes on this five spot archery target are very good, and entirely acceptable, but this group just well, speaks for it self. ( I think I may revisit that load again!!!!)

P/S, SPECIAL THANKS TO MY PARTNER IN CRIME, BUTTERBEAN. I AM ADMITTEDLY TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED, AND HE PICKED UP MY SLACK. THANKS BRO'.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
ANOTHER RANGE REPORT***
Hey guys, finally was able to get some range time this weekend with the Sharpshooter, and my new build that I had put together in the spring.
Well, the Sharpshooter has shown me that it likes 140 class bullets, and today was basically a review, using another bullet which is the 140 Partition. I have been very happy with the TSX, but I had a few , and thought I would give them a try,as I have not shot them in this rifle. ( until now). Well, long story short, I may give them a whirl in November. My standard load for 140 weight is 79.3-rl22, and a 215 primer @ 3.624 in the Winchester. Well, I got three back to back sub half inch groups. I also shot the TSX load as well, and it shot awesome as well.
So, onto the Custom gun. I have been experimenting with 154 spire points, and RL25 with promising results, but the weather got too hot, so I held off until today, when time availed, and temps cooler. Temp was about 55. Load was 81.8-RL25-150 BT, 215 GM, and once fired federal premium brass. Well, shot the same target twice, with three shot groups,and you can barely see the third hole from the first group. range was 100 yards. It is basically a ragged hole SIX SHOT GROUP. Pix may follow, with a little help from another brother. OAL was 3.688. Sorry for the long read, as it's been a while since I was able to shoot, due to weather, or work. But I was rather happy with the results, and wanted to pass along the info. Just another reminder of why we love this caliber. Take care to all.
Hey Bob,

Did you chrono this extremely accurate load? I would like to know the velocity of the load.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Gamehawker, no, I did not chrono that load. But in my best estimate, I'd say that is is in the 3300 strong area, judging by the recoil, and flash. It definitely has some authority to it on both ends. I have some more of those bullets left, and enough RL25 to duplicate that load, and that's exactly what's on my itinerary for this weekend. Maybe I'll drag the chrono with me too. I know this, if they shoot like they did last Sunday, I'm going to do a load out in that formula, that I'll be taking to Maryland in November. I ordered two boxes of those BT's , and another lb of RL25 as well. So far, I really like the RL25. it seems to have more energy, and also, and more importantly, less temp sensitive then it's brother, RL22.

On a totally different note, when I was in the gun shop today, my dealer had 5 boxes of Brand New" Remington" 7 mm STW ammo. ( he now has 3 ). I know that it is new because of the plastic cartridge holder in the box. They are loaded with 140 core lokt bullets.time will tell how good the brass is.