Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I let the STW eat this weekend in WY. 180 bergers at 300 yards. They didn't even twitch, DRT. I was immpressed.
Way to go Bob
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I let the STW eat this weekend in WY. 180 bergers at 300 yards. They didn't even twitch, DRT. I was immpressed.
Are you shooting the Bergers single shot?I tried some 168gr Bergers in mine and I had to seat them way to deep in order to fit the magazine.They shot like crap because of it.My rifle has a long throat and it was too much jump for that bullet.That is the disadvantage I see with the 7STW,the case is so long,it limits how far you seat your bullets out on extremely aerodynamic bullets.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

I have some 156 Oryx loads too, factory Norma, what kind of range do they have?

Nice shooting Bob, the freezer has some friends.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Well, just ordered pillars from brownells. Should take care of the squishy stock problem. I've gotta get them in in the next couple of weeks if I want to kill with the stw this year. The block I was looking at was a wait, so it's this or a laminate stock. Cost won out for now.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Bear, Antelope is the least "gamey" of any meat I have eaten. Mine actually has no "smell" when cooking. I quarter them where they lay and put on ice at the truck, where they stay till I get home. Then I separate each muscle and "fillet" the outer skin/casing off to remove any fat and membranes, then cut into steaks or burger.

Baldhunter, It's a factory SPS 700 barrel and action, "single fed" with the 180's set "about" .025" off the lands. I'm 3.165" to the ogive using a Hornady comparator on callipers. 73 gr. of RL25. I remembered to have another cartridge in my hand before I took the first one. I generally do a lot of belly crawling so they have no idea I'm there and after the shot will run a slight distance and hang up for a minute or so. The rangefinder/phone app/moa turret will get replaced for sure. Way too much hassle and fiddle dickin around. Yardage turret is the way to go for me.

The STW is heading off to Montana for action truing and a new barrel next week. That will finish off my custom 7stw.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bear, Antelope is the least "gamey" of any meat I have eaten. Mine actually has no "smell" when cooking. I quarter them where they lay and put on ice at the truck, where they stay till I get home. Then I separate each muscle and "fillet" the outer skin/casing off to remove any fat and membranes, then cut into steaks or burger.

Baldhunter, It's a factory SPS 700 barrel and action, "single fed" with the 180's set "about" .025" off the lands. I'm 3.165" to the ogive using a Hornady comparator on callipers. 73 gr. of RL25. I remembered to have another cartridge in my hand before I took the first one. I generally do a lot of belly crawling so they have no idea I'm there and after the shot will run a slight distance and hang up for a minute or so. The rangefinder/phone app/moa turret will get replaced for sure. Way too much hassle and fiddle dickin around. Yardage turret is the way to go for me.

The STW is heading off to Montana for action truing and a new barrel next week. That will finish off my custom 7stw.
We've done up the prairie goats a little simpler here in the Dakota's. We dump the guts and rinse 'em out with cold water and shove a block/bag of ice in the gut cavity. Steaks or burger here too for end product. With the steaks a bit of butter and steak salt and a flat grill at 350 f is about perfect and fork tender. Too bad the season on them has been closed for a couple of years. I like goat.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

You guys are making me hungry, for goat and shooting. Would love to take either stw out west and open them up.

Hopefully I will get to shoot the new Win M70 soon, it looks really nice.