Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Dean - Nice shooting. What was your load? How was terminal performance?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

load is 162 amax over RL 25 @ 3300fps. I gave the hog away to a buddy so I didnt see the insides. The bullet didnt exit but the hog never twitched. shot placement was in the neck just forward of the shoulder.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Whidden Gunworks Remington 700 Stock Bedding Block Long Action Left

anyone use one of these??

or would a pillar job be better??
I've got a router and access to a drill press so I think it would do-able

It's for my stw-- gotta play it this way or replace the stock-- there aren't many lefty laminates out there and I really don't want to go plastic or glass on a glossy rifle.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

The 7 Dakota is a possibility but I think the short cartridge market seems to be WSM now, and probably here to stay. I still like long action cartridges, stw has it's place, no worry.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Greetings from Norway!
I have read this whole tread with interest, yes all post:-D
Thanks to you guys i'v orderd a sako in 7 mm stw. I'm getting it delivered next week.
It will be fitted with a-tec silencer, IOR 3.5-18*50 ffp mil scope. Just cant wait to try it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........[/QUOTE]

I have looked at the 7 dakota, but the wsm's and the 7-300 win are what most people are doing lately.
The Dakota is a viable option especially for someone who wants stw performance and needs a proper headstamp for travel, etc. but doesn't want a la rem or win action. Data is scarce but I have some in my barnes #2 book.
I'm still working on my stw. It's terribly accurate when it wants to be and 3 moa when it wants to be, so I'll be waiting on another 7 for a while. I've got to re-shoot everything I've done too, dang it....
Pillar bedding, bedding block, or stock before I waste any more barrel life.