Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Steve,

Of course it is possible to rebarrel to a 7stw. but it is certainly not practical. Not only will you have to alter the bolt, (you need a magnum boltface), but you'd also have to open up the bottom of the action in order to be able to feed cartridges from the magazine. the better solution it to trade the rifle for a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win mag and re-barrel it.

Dan

Many of us have a 7STW because we bought as a 7mm Rem Mag and simply had it rechambered (the chamber enlarged) instead of buying a new barrel.

Sell the 30-06, buy 7mm STW in 700 SPS if they are available. Probably the cheapest way overall to accomplish what you want.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
Many of us have a 7STW because we bought as a 7mm Rem Mag and simply had it rechambered (the chamber enlarged) instead of buying a new barrel.

Sell the 30-06, buy 7mm STW in 700 SPS if they are available. Probably the cheapest way overall to accomplish what you want.

Becareful of other actions for instance the Savage LRH is a great gun, the action is more than long enough for the 7stw, but the magazine is not and it cannot be enlarged. Another hard lesson i learned that you can have for free!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Steve,

Of course it is possible to rebarrel to a 7stw. but it is certainly not practical. Not only will you have to alter the bolt, (you need a magnum boltface), but you'd also have to open up the bottom of the action in order to be able to feed cartridges from the magazine. the better solution it to trade the rifle for a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win mag and re-barrel it.

Dan
Thanks Dan I figured as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post

I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebuck View Post
Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.
140 accubond with rl25 and a 215. 140 sierra would do fine to about 700yds if you think in green.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

The reason I asked about bullet weight and twist rate is because the previous owner of the gun said it shot 180VLDs better than the 168VLDs but everwhere I read this should be just the opposite with a 1-10 twist rate.. Once again I have not recieved the gun and cant wait to find out for my self. Im thinking I will stay around te 140-168 gn because im only shooting whitetails and hogs with this rifle and Im kinda a speed freek. I like velocity.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The reason I asked about bullet weight and twist rate is because the previous owner of the gun said it shot 180VLDs better than the 168VLDs but everwhere I read this should be just the opposite with a 1-10 twist rate.. Once again I have not recieved the gun and cant wait to find out for my self. Im thinking I will stay around te 140-168 gn because im only shooting whitetails and hogs with this rifle and Im kinda a speed freek. I like velocity.
My pick would be either LRX 145gn Barnes, 150gn sirrocco or a140gn Nosler Accubond.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Could someone give me a good bullet recommendation to start with. I'm looking for super accurate and deadly at 500 yds. My gun is a semi custom sendero 7stw with 26" Lilja barrel 1-10 twist.
Oglebuck, congrats on the new hot rod. A ten twist really isn't a handicap in the seven mm world. I am confident that you will be able to stabilize everything up to 168 grains. Some bullets may be a little length sensitive and need 9-9.5 to stabilize the whole gamut of the heavy for caliber bullets. With the ten twist, you will be able to get higher velocity, and less pressure, but in my way of thinking, that rifle will be a prime candidate for a 154 Hornady spire point. You have the best of both worlds. Awesome speed and decent weight. If you are busting whitetails, or even mulies, the will not walk away from that. The nosler 140 CT, or AB, also come to mind. You will easily get 3400 out of the latter bullets with that twist, and little to no pressure. In the 140 class bullets, look no farther than RL22, 7828, or H1000. Most of us here have some " pet formulas" and would be happy to share when you get ready.
Lilja barrels are the cream of the crop. Enjoy. Keep us posted.