close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1527  
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenshovel View Post
I posted a pic earlier and it had the wrong data :-( Sorry about that. the shot group actually should have been .519, lol.

I went to the range and shot my 270 and it was .889 and i realized the other group was inaccurate.

First and foremost, Welcome to the Brotherhood. secondly, that is a damn nice group by any bodies standards. Winchesters are tough to beat, and I have become a Winchester fan myself of recent. I have a Custom Sharpshooter, in 7STW, and it is a drill.
Great looking rifle, and awesome groups. If she's consistent with that load, you are done with load development. Congrats.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  •   #1528  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Harker Heights
    Posts: 7
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
    First and foremost, Welcome to the Brotherhood. secondly, that is a damn nice group by any bodies standards. Winchesters are tough to beat, and I have become a Winchester fan myself of recent. I have a Custom Sharpshooter, in 7STW, and it is a drill.
    Great looking rifle, and awesome groups. If she's consistent with that load, you are done with load development. Congrats.
    I went back out to the range and she shot 2 rounds dang near on top of each other with 1 time fired brass so I put her aside as I didn't want to jinx myself, lol.

    I know that this is not a .270 thread but here is what my .270 Winchester 70 did at the range today powder at 50.5 - speed at 2758 140 Nosler Accubonds. This rifle still needs bedding (it has a Bell and Carlsen Medalist stock) and needs serious trigger work as it still set to stock. I will fix this soon :-)

    Reply With Quote

      #1529  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
    Posts: 1,324
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenshovel View Post
    I went back out to the range and she shot 2 rounds dang near on top of each other with 1 time fired brass so I put her aside as I didn't want to jinx myself, lol.

    I know that this is not a .270 thread but here is what my .270 Winchester 70 did at the range today powder at 50.5 - speed at 2758 140 Nosler Accubonds. This rifle still needs bedding (it has a Bell and Carlsen Medalist stock) and needs serious trigger work as it still set to stock. I will fix this soon :-)

    Nice 270 group as well.
    What powder and charge are you using in your stw. Just curious.
    __________________
    AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
    Reply With Quote
      #1530  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Harker Heights
    Posts: 7
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
    Nice 270 group as well.
    What powder and charge are you using in your stw. Just curious.
    H1000 at 74.5
    Reply With Quote
      #1531  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
    Posts: 1,324
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenshovel View Post
    H1000 at 74.5
    Good choice for that bullet weight. Whatever it is, she surely likes it. Sounds like a keeper to me.
    __________________
    AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
    Reply With Quote
      #1532  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Wyoming
    Posts: 433
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Does this sound right? 81 gr H1000 with Barnes 145 gr LRX @3280 fps? That is all I got out of it. My sons gun is a 7wsm shooting factory 150gr at 3220? Good accuracy though with .75" groups. I was really hoping for 3400+!
    __________________
    Never pass up a kool-aid stand or lemonade stand. Remember it is a young American learning the American dream.
    Reply With Quote
      #1533  
    Unread 09-27-2012, 10:40 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 43
    Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
    Does this sound right? 81 gr H1000 with Barnes 145 gr LRX @3280 fps? That is all I got out of it. My sons gun is a 7wsm shooting factory 150gr at 3220? Good accuracy though with .75" groups. I was really hoping for 3400+!
    You need to ask yourself....why speed?

    One valid answer is bullet drop. Less does help in the field. The other is bullet performance. Some bullets need speed to perform how you wish....others less so.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
    nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
    .358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
    first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
    Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC