Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Update: I did a chamber casting tonight and I can see traces of the lands the whole way back to the casing on three of them.

Chamber and throat is clean.

I think I found my problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Update: I did a chamber casting tonight and I can see traces of the lands the whole way back to the casing on three of them.

It sounds like to me that Mickey Mouse did the chambering job when you got it. That certainly sucks, but all is NOT lost. You probably can have it " set back" a half inch, and have someone Reputable rechamber, and use a new finish reamer, and you will be all set. It puzzles me as why it was as accurate as it was in the beginning. With the round count being as low as it is, I don't feel as though the remainder of the barrel is hurt. Assuming you had a 26 inch barrel , you still will have enough remaining to get good velocity. What a shame though, a obermeier barrel to boot. It's definitely worth the repair attempt. A friend of mine had a 300 win mag " set back", and it is way more accurate then what it ever was was. Velocity loss was negligible.
Just make sure the NEW smith uses new reamers, and minimal free bore.
Hope everything works out for you. It's amazing what the chamber cast can tell you.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Bronze Member

I think it was accurate as the tracings in the throat were probably high enough to actually take some bite and act like an extended leade. They aren't full lands, but I can see the one edge of each land run back to where the case neck would max out.

It solves another mystery as early in the round count I'd have a couple shots that showed some pressure signs at the base and this confounded me as I was 4 grains under max. Basically, I had no freebore.

As the throat wore in, the bullets (probably) were no longer were able to gain any purchase and they bounced over that bumpy throat until they hit the leade. At that point they probably had some weird harmonics or were scratched up.

That's my best guess.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think it was accurate as the tracings in the throat were probably high enough to actually take some bite and act like an extended leade. They aren't full lands, but I can see the one edge of each land run back to where the case neck would max out.

It solves another mystery as early in the round count I'd have a couple shots that showed some pressure signs at the base and this confounded me as I was 4 grains under max. Basically, I had no freebore.

As the throat wore in, the bullets (probably) were no longer were able to gain any purchase and they bounced over that bumpy throat until they hit the leade. At that point they probably had some weird harmonics or were scratched up.

That's my best guess.
You know, I was just thinking, that you MAY be able to have a GOOD smith run a NEW finish reamer through it, and clean it up. That will achieve the proper free bore, and to correct whatever else was not to SAAMI spec when it was butchered the first time. A competent smith could advise you better, really depending on what condition the rear half of the chamber is in. If that works, you won't have to do a thread recut, and rechamber. Either way, it is completely fixable, and you will have a great rifle afterwards.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtinehunter View Post
I want to thank you all for your help with my Questions
I have one more, anyone here have any experience with
the Cerakote firearm coatings?

Tom

Anyone use this coating ?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtinehunter View Post
Anyone use this coating ?
I havent used it but heard thats its reall good stuff
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

I think I said that about 5 posts ago.......wasnt finished reamed.......looks like your high dollar tube got cut by a blacksmith instead of a gunsmith