Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Lycan, I got to thinking about your ploy today, and I do think that what your problem is , is in the throat, as I had hinted about last nite. You said that you have shot a few different bullet types, and the bullets in the pix are CT bullets. If you are not THOUROUGHLY cleaning it before going to another type of bullet, what is happening is you are effectively " laminating" the lead edge of the throat, and then what happens is the chamber pressure jumps around. That will in turn throw accuracy, ( spelled consistency) , right out the window.
I know you are battling with a few things that just aren't right, such as the stock, scope, etc., but that marking on the ogive of the bullet aint caused by any of that stuff.
Just a little reminder, you do NOT have to seat the bullet into the riflings to get good accuracy. NONE of mine are into the throat, all fit into the box, ( Winchester, and Remingtons), and they all shoot below MOA.
I would just take a few steps backward, get back to basics, clean barrel, target reading, and load progression, without making too many changes at once. The gun dosen't have that many rounds through it, so the problem and cure has to be something simple, and probably overlooked. These rifles will foul a throat in a nano second, so that must be considered. Twenty rounds may be to long of a interval before cleaning. Try ten or twelve, and see what happens, but you have to get it " mint " clean first, then go from there.
Try scalding hot water , poured down the barrel. This opens the pores, and releases a lot of the carbon and copper, and moly too. It works great, and you will be amazed at what comes out of the barrel, on your jag patch, especially if you use JB or similar compounds. Good luck my friend.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Those aren't CT's....those are Accubonds painted with a Sharpie just so I could see where the lands were. I've already shot out a 7 STW barrel before this one at about 1500 rounds, but never had this trouble. I've also never had a gun where I could push a bullet up the lands. When they hit the lands, they typically stop rather abruptly. In the picture, you can see the wipe marks and those only occur in line with all 5 lands. Anyone else ever see this?

In this barrel I've run 160 Accuonds, 168 Berger VLD's, 162 SST's, 162 A-max, 150 Ballistic Tips (to check the velocity against my old barrel) and 154 Hornady Spire points (I had laying around).

I do think it's in the throat and I'm going to chamber cast and have my smith scope it out. It wouldn't however, hurt to scrub her out with some hot water so I'll be happy to take that advice.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Those aren't CT's....those are Accubonds painted with a Sharpie just so I could see where the lands were. I've already shot out a 7 STW barrel before this one at about 1500 rounds, but never had this trouble. I've also never had a gun where I could push a bullet up the lands. When they hit the lands, they typically stop rather abruptly. In the picture, you can see the wipe marks and those only occur in line with all 5 lands. Anyone else ever see this?

In this barrel I've run 160 Accuonds, 168 Berger VLD's, 162 SST's, 162 A-max, 150 Ballistic Tips (to check the velocity against my old barrel) and 154 Hornady Spire points (I had laying around).

I do think it's in the throat and I'm going to chamber cast and have my smith scope it out. It wouldn't however, hurt to scrub her out with some hot water so I'll be happy to take that advice.

Thanks!
Lycan, yeah, I do really believe that you have a throat issue, whether it be build up, or damage, or whatever. I don't know what your OAL is, but typically, it is difficult to get the touch the throat, without being awfully long. The picture dosen't look as though it is to much longer than Remington box length which is about 3.700+-. Normally the free bore is about .250, and as much as .375 in the STW's, and I have seen as much as .400 in some other calibers.
The chamber cast is a great idea, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to do one before you scour the barrel, and one after, for a comparison. ( just a thought).
I hope that things work out for you, and that you find the problem. I really feel like it is a build up issue, and that's simple to remedy. The chamber cast idea is a really good idea. That will reveal a lot of info.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

HEY;

I see a lot of people have 26 to 28 inch barrels in 7mm stw
And few of you have 24 inch barrels, what Velocities
are you getting out of the 24 vs 26 inch barrels

Tom
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtinehunter View Post
HEY;

I see a lot of people have 26 to 28 inch barrels in 7mm stw
And few of you have 24 inch barrels, what Velocities
are you getting out of the 24 vs 26 inch barrels

Tom
Minus 100 to 150Fps on the 24"vs 26"
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Lycan, yeah, I do really believe that you have a throat issue, whether it be build up, or damage, or whatever. I don't know what your OAL is, but typically, it is difficult to get the touch the throat, without being awfully long. The picture dosen't look as though it is to much longer than Remington box length which is about 3.700+-. Normally the free bore is about .250, and as much as .375 in the STW's, and I have seen as much as .400 in some other calibers.
The chamber cast is a great idea, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to do one before you scour the barrel, and one after, for a comparison. ( just a thought).
I hope that things work out for you, and that you find the problem. I really feel like it is a build up issue, and that's simple to remedy. The chamber cast idea is a really good idea. That will reveal a lot of info.
Hey 7 look close at that pic again those are land markings.....it has me confused a bit
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Minus 100 to 150Fps on the 24"vs 26"
about 50fps south of my dad's 25" bdm with brake with my 24" lh bdl, and his was as fast as my sendero with a 26" pipe. A lot of it is the load. I've seen the loss change with different powder and/ or bullet weight.