Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzola View Post
Attachment 13024

Well finally got her back together yesterday and ran a couple groups down the tube. This was the virgin group (I was grinnin like a mule eatin briars), wow what a change from that ol factory tube! I dialed it over and backed the charge off to 82 but it wasn't as tight (1.08") at 3432. The OAL was 3.677 for both loads haven't started monkeyin with that yet tho. I went ahead and loaded up 20 more of this one to complete my breakin and to check it out to 500, it may shoot better but I'm cool with this for now as I only have 10 days before I leave for Wyoming. Drew both muley and speed goat tags so maybe I can break her in out there? BTW tried 84gr and it hit 3556 but I could faintly see the E pin on the case so just backed it to 83 as my starting point.

Here's her new genetics:
Rem 700 action
Douglas #5 contour (26") with Shrewd Brake now OAL is 28"
B&C Alaskan II Stock
Vortex Viper HS 4x16x50 (30mm tube) w/ one piece lapped Tallys
Monzola, at the risk of seeming too cautious, I do believe you are on the ragged edge of high pressure even at 83 grains. You may get away with that with RL 25, but in my experience, that amount of rl22 is a little stout. The velocity alone told me that. I just don't want to see you over pressure that new barrel.
On another note, the accuracy seems to be there, as is evident in you target. I know you are anxious to " git er done", but don't " blow er up". Please don't take this the wrong way. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Just got back from doing a some shooting, was really rushed and not how I generally like to do things, but I turned out 2 groups with 175g Sierra Game Kings and retumbo. Due to the limited time I decided shoot the lightest charge and then the heaviest charge (still a very safe load in my rifle)

Here are the two 4 shot groups:

Attachment 13070

I pulled the bottom one.

Attachment 13071

They are 2 grains diffrent in charge weight. I'm going to shoot the other 3 loads as well, but the 75.5g load looks really good, That's 3 shots together.

I know that it's not the fastest one, but you know.....

Dan
Good deal Dano I knew you would figure it out and Awesome shooting by the way
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Attachment 13024

Well finally got her back together yesterday and ran a couple groups down the tube. This was the virgin group (I was grinnin like a mule eatin briars), wow what a change from that ol factory tube! I dialed it over and backed the charge off to 82 but it wasn't as tight (1.08") at 3432. The OAL was 3.677 for both loads haven't started monkeyin with that yet tho. I went ahead and loaded up 20 more of this one to complete my breakin and to check it out to 500, it may shoot better but I'm cool with this for now as I only have 10 days before I leave for Wyoming. Drew both muley and speed goat tags so maybe I can break her in out there? BTW tried 84gr and it hit 3556 but I could faintly see the E pin on the case so just backed it to 83 as my starting point.

Here's her new genetics:
Rem 700 action
Douglas #5 contour (26") with Shrewd Brake now OAL is 28"
B&C Alaskan II Stock
Vortex Viper HS 4x16x50 (30mm tube) w/ one piece lapped Tallys
Monz, Thats a great group and I know that your a happy camper glad you got the tube figured out,But the trigger man has alot to do with it to,But I will have to agree with 7Stw.......That load is scaring me just a bit....Thats gotta be on the edge and if the outside temp would go up its gonna get ugly ........Just dont wanna see you get hurt my Friend .....Great shooting Bud
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Since this was a rushed session, I was shooting prone off a bi-pod and I had forgotten my rear sand bag as well. So that explains the pulled shot. I know that if I was shooting off of bags at a proper range, it wouldn't be an issue.

I think that I've found a good bullet for seating to magazine length. I if I'll be taking this rifle Muley hunting this fall, but may use it on a cow Elk in November, we'll just have to see.

Dan
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-photo.jpg

Thanks guys. The only reason I started there was the gunsmith I've been working with recommeded it as a starting point as he shoots 84.5 RL22 in his stw and has for 20+ years? I will take heed and start load development on a milder one asap. I've worked too hard to get her to this point to start backing up now.

The target above was from this evening, I caught a cool rainy spell and sent 4 down her then cleaned again, just continuing the breakin process. That group measured .345" my best yet, maybe because of the cool eve we had today? Anyway I'm well pleased and thanks for the input, hopefully the cooler loads will group as good or better.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

After a really good start (under an inch at 250 yards), the new build has started to string hard horizontal Then it will randomly go vertical......or well, random. I've changed just about everything including action torque, rings, mounts, load length, charges, bullets, seating depth...and even bedded it again. I've never had a rifle give me such a fit. Others have shot it with similar results.

Tonight I decided to load into the lands. Barrel has less than 200 rounds on her.

What do you make of this?

All 5 lands on the 5R barrel show this pattern.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Attachment 13081

Thanks guys. The only reason I started there was the gunsmith I've been working with recommeded it as a starting point as he shoots 84.5 RL22 in his stw and has for 20+ years? I will take heed and start load development on a milder one asap. I've worked too hard to get her to this point to start backing up now.

The target above was from this evening, I caught a cool rainy spell and sent 4 down her then cleaned again, just continuing the breakin process. That group measured .345" my best yet, maybe because of the cool eve we had today? Anyway I'm well pleased and thanks for the input, hopefully the cooler loads will group as good or better.
With 84 rl22 in an stw with a 140 you'll have to have it throated to 4" to keep the pressures below catastrophic. The 7 rum can only go to 90 grains of rl22 with a 140 or 95 grains rl25 and it's throated to 4.1" most of the time. A lot more room in the 7rum's boiler too.