Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Monzola - I think you got it right going to Douglas. After break-in, I shot 2 100 yd 3-shot groups with my new Douglas barrel. 1st one was with Nosler 160 gr AB factory ammo & the 2nd one was with 140 gr Remmington 140 gr core-lokt factory ammo. Each load went into one ragged hole. The new barrel now has 32 rounds through it and I can't wait to start handloading for it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

I know that folks have a favorite brand of powder,I don't mind saying I'll use what shoots the best group with good velocity.If you are going to try the heavy bullets,IMR 7828ssc IS THE BEST POWDER.............
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzola View Post
Update:

Well finally got a day to journey up to Douglas barrels combine yesterday and get my piece checked out. First we checked the bore and it was surprisingly fine, well within rems specs (glad I didn't send back to them). Then we cleaned it really good again and upon further inspection with the ol bore scope discovered where the problem was coming from. 7stw you hit the nail on the head with the "plowed field" term. The lands and riflings were a hot mess to say the least, Lots a scaring and furrowed spots. So after a good visit with Stanley and Travis I decided on a #5 contour chrome moly and a brake fitted to my action from there shop. Let me tell ya these guys were great to deal with and very informative to a rookie like me. Thanks again to all of y'all who chimed in concerning the issue, this thread is what a forum is supposed to be like. They said I should have it back by late next week, which will give me 2 weeks to hopefully find something it likes before I leave for my Wyoming hunt. Thanks
Monzola, I am certainly glad that you found the culprit, BEFORE you burned a bunch of powder, and wasted a bunch of bullets as well. I was afraid the the final analysis was true, at the start of your thread, but as sad as it is, Big Greens Quality really has a lot to be desired. You did the right thing at the right time, and I'm happy that you didn't give up on the round, just the barrel. Now, you are going to have a fresh cut chamber, and a tight and smooth barrel, that dosen't need to be honed down to fit a bullet through it's bore. You have just entered a whole new ball game now, and it's going to be a good ride, I'm sure.
What length did you settle on, 26 inches I hope. Also, what twist did you get? Going by the sounds of things, those guys probably set you up right anyway. Good luck, and congrats on your score, and to loosing a headache. Now the real fun begins!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Monzola, I am certainly glad that you found the culprit, BEFORE you burned a bunch of powder, and wasted a bunch of bullets as well. I was afraid the the final analysis was true, at the start of your thread, but as sad as it is, Big Greens Quality really has a lot to be desired. You did the right thing at the right time, and I'm happy that you didn't give up on the round, just the barrel. Now, you are going to have a fresh cut chamber, and a tight and smooth barrel, that dosen't need to be honed down to fit a bullet through it's bore. You have just entered a whole new ball game now, and it's going to be a good ride, I'm sure.
What length did you settle on, 26 inches I hope. Also, what twist did you get? Going by the sounds of things, those guys probably set you up right anyway. Good luck, and congrats on your score, and to loosing a headache. Now the real fun begins!!
I'll second that.....She will be good to go
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
I know that folks have a favorite brand of powder,I don't mind saying I'll use what shoots the best group with good velocity.If you are going to try the heavy bullets,IMR 7828ssc IS THE BEST POWDER.............
I'll use 7828 with 120-150 grain, but it puts up higher pressure for the same velocity as rl25 starting at 140 grain bullets. Not that is is poor accuracy, it just puts up higher pressure. I'd guess retumbo would be similar to rl25 pressure wise per velocity.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys.

So what do y'all thank is the proper break in for this new barrel. It's a #5 contour and I think the twist is 1-9.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzola View Post
Thanks guys.

So what do y'all thank is the proper break in for this new barrel. It's a #5 contour and I think the twist is 1-9.
It seems as though each barrel maker have there own recommended break in. I would check with the guys that are installing and chambering the barrel for you. But typically it is a shoot and clean session, but with a premium barrel, that is usually very abbreviated. Some of them shoot out lites out of the box, because they are finish lapped already. My Hart barrel did exactly that when I put one on a STW build several years ago. That too is a 5 contour, except it is stainless. It probably won't need much if any break in. Enjoy!!!!!