Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I'd have a call in to Remington.........then maybe Tubb Final Finish if Big Green doesn't do right by you.

I've had a couple 7STW's. The last was built on a brand new 7mm mag Winchester model 70 Classic. I bedded it on a Richards Microfit stock I finished myself and it loved the 140gr Nosler CT bullets at 3400fps.

When the barrel was shot out around 1700 rounds, I went full custom to my liking.

Same action with an Obermeyer 5R barrel in Remington Varmint contour (1:8.75). Macmillan A5 stock (70% black 30% med gray) with KMW Loggerhead hardware. Bedded and floated by yours truly. Jewell trigger. Speedlock firing pin. Aadmount rings (good grief these are awesome) on a Nightforce 20moa rail. Sightron SIII 8x32 with MOA reticle.

Only about 20 rounds down the tube so far. Been cleaning after every shot (all debates aside, I'm a fan of "break-in" for 50 rounds) and every round prints in the same place at .75 moa (168gr Berger VLD, 162gr A max, 162gr SST). Once I start shooting on a fouled bore and work some powder charges, I expect things to tighten up. If not, I'll be ordering a Wyatt magazine box since I'm limited to 3.630 COAL.

Glad to be part of the brotherhood.
Very nice hardware, and I really like the Winchester " pre 64" design. Most of my STW's are on a Remington action, but I recently purchased a M70 Custom Sharpshooter. This rifle is awesome in every sense of the word. Long story short, I have became a Winchester fan as well. The only thing, and it's really not a big deal, but as you said, the max OAL I can get is 3.630. Whereas, with the Remys, I can get 3.665-3.670 and fit in the box. However, I really dosen't matter, because the thing still shoots .75 groups @ 200 yards. This is a hunting weight rifle, so I have NO complaints. I like that laminated stock. I have re- kindled a fondness for wood as of recent. I recently built a custom STW, and elected to go with a Bobby Hart LRT laminated. It resembles a " A 4" design, but is laminated instead of synthetic. It shoots as good as it did when it was temporarily in a HS precision.
Anyway, very nice rifles, and in a truly awesome caliber. I too enjoy the 140 CT bullets @ 3400. Deer don't like them very much though. Welcome to the Brotherhood, and enjoy those jewels.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Very nice hardware, and I really like the Winchester " pre 64" design. Most of my STW's are on a Remington action, but I recently purchased a M70 Custom Sharpshooter. This rifle is awesome in every sense of the word. Long story short, I have became a Winchester fan as well. The only thing, and it's really not a big deal, but as you said, the max OAL I can get is 3.630. Whereas, with the Remys, I can get 3.665-3.670 and fit in the box. However, I really dosen't matter, because the thing still shoots .75 groups @ 200 yards. This is a hunting weight rifle, so I have NO complaints. I like that laminated stock. I have re- kindled a fondness for wood as of recent. I recently built a custom STW, and elected to go with a Bobby Hart LRT laminated. It resembles a " A 4" design, but is laminated instead of synthetic. It shoots as good as it did when it was temporarily in a HS precision.
Anyway, very nice rifles, and in a truly awesome caliber. I too enjoy the 140 CT bullets @ 3400. Deer don't like them very much though. Welcome to the Brotherhood, and enjoy those jewels.
Hey Bob,

If you had the choice would you shoot the 140 grain CT bullets or the 140 grain AB bullets in your 7mm STWs?

The BC is the same on both bullets so I would think they would be comparable in groupings and velocity.

For a 140 grain bullet in my 7mm STWs I love the AB for groupings and velocity. I can't wait to try out 160 grain AB when it gets cooler.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Hey Bob,

If you had the choice would you shoot the 140 grain CT bullets or the 140 grain AB bullets in your 7mm STWs?

The BC is the same on both bullets so I would think they would be comparable in groupings and velocity.

For a 140 grain bullet in my 7mm STWs I love the AB for groupings and velocity. I can't wait to try out 160 grain AB when it gets cooler.
Gamehawker, I have killed deer with both bullets. The kills with the CT's are spectacular, and SOMETIMES a little messy. The Accu- bond, is a little less explosive, and usually give complete penetration, and decent size exit. I guess I would say, that " all things being equal", if you can get the Accubonds to shoot as well as the CT,or BT, by all means go with the AB.
When the weather gets a little cooler, I will debuting the 140 AB in my latest build, and will try them in my Sharpshooter as well. But, so far, they both really like the 140 TSX. So, I will give the 140 AB a whirl, but if it shoots like it did the last time I shot them, those TSX bullets are tough to beat.
In your situation, as I said earlier, if the AB shoots for you, look no farther, they will not fail you. And I'll guantee that you have a blood trail, but you probably won't need it!!!! It's getting to be that magic time of year pretty soon!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gamehawker, I have killed deer with both bullets. The kills with the CT's are spectacular, and SOMETIMES a little messy. The Accu- bond, is a little less explosive, and usually give complete penetration, and decent size exit. I guess I would say, that " all things being equal", if you can get the Accubonds to shoot as well as the CT,or BT, by all means go with the AB.
When the weather gets a little cooler, I will debuting the 140 AB in my latest build, and will try them in my Sharpshooter as well. But, so far, they both really like the 140 TSX. So, I will give the 140 AB a whirl, but if it shoots like it did the last time I shot them, those TSX bullets are tough to beat.
In your situation, as I said earlier, if the AB shoots for you, look no farther, they will not fail you. And I'll guantee that you have a blood trail, but you probably won't need it!!!! It's getting to be that magic time of year pretty soon!!!!
+1
I'm using the 140 AB with rl25 lately. The 171 barnes matchburner proved too flaky with any powder at the speeds an stw can go.
BTW, on another thread they said that rl33 is finally shipping. I may just have another favorite powder in a month or two. I'll post up any luck when i finally get some.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Concur.

140 CT's hit like the hammer of God. Deer rarely move after impact. I used the 160 AB for elk and it was probably overkill. On deer it would leave a quarter sized exit hole and sometimes they would take a few steps. I prefer DRT.

But.....I typically start with whatever bullet shoots the tightest and go from there.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

You would think that with the amount of people having the stw and reloading for it. Winchester would add it back to the line up for brass. I think we might need to start emailing winchester trying to get them to start making it again. Just an idea.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamily View Post
You would think that with the amount of people having the stw and reloading for it. Winchester would add it back to the line up for brass. I think we might need to start emailing winchester trying to get them to start making it again. Just an idea.
Heck, I don't think olin makes any of the long action belted Winchester brass anymore. The Win head stamp stuff is good, but I think rem works as well. I went to win because my initial couple hundred rem brass got beat up and I blamed the brass since the loads were book. Turns out the loads were warm and the brass simply wore out.
If you want other brass then rem, nosler makes brass and norma 375h@h are easy to re-form to 7stw. I've done a couple of hundred rem 375 down to 7stw already. If I can't source 7stw head stamped brass when I'm done with the 4 hundred I have, I'll go that route.