Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks Fire306, that gives me some great info for testing my new bullets. I think I am going to try H-1000 first as i too am concerned with temperature sensitivity of RL22&25 as it has already proved to be a problem for me.

On another note. I have been thinking. I wouldn't buy a bad arse hotrod to only drive 55 MPH so why the heck would I buy Bergers to shoot out of my 7mmSTW and only get 3200 FPS and risk grenadeing? No Bergers for this STW cat!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
Thanks Fire306, that gives me some great info for testing my new bullets. I think I am going to try H-1000 first as i too am concerned with temperature sensitivity of RL22&25 as it has already proved to be a problem for me.

On another note. I have been thinking. I wouldn't buy a bad arse hotrod to only drive 55 MPH so why the heck would I buy Bergers to shoot out of my 7mmSTW and only get 3200 FPS and risk grenadeing? No Bergers for this STW cat!

Pushing the 168gr Berger VLD past 3200 with the Sako and the factory 26" barrel is pushing them pretty hard. It all depends on what you are doing with the rifle, if you are paper punching, no problem. The issue 7stw spoke of was that at or above 3200 fps he experienced penetration problems on game. Maybe he will chime in and clarify if the problem was likely the impact velocity was too high, or is pushing them that fast had some effect on the structural integrity of the bullet. The bullet will loose approx. 200fps by the time it reaches 200yards, thus the impact speed wouldn't be too high. My luck though, that's when that buck or bull of a lifetime strolls out at 75 yards. That's why I wanted to stay at or just under 3200.
It's strange how different loads can be in different rifles. A friend of mine has a custom built STW that he had built for him not long after Layne wrote about it in Shooting Times. I don't remember the specs of his rifle except that it to has a 26" barrel. His go to load is 80gr of H1000 pushing 160gr Nosler Accubonds at 3300fps. The same load in my Sako 26" barrel barely breaks 3000fps.
That's the fun part of rifles and reloading. Trying to find that magical load for each rifle.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

I had a nice 7 point buck walk up on me at 20 yards the first year I had the rifle. I only had time to site in with Rem 140gr Core-Lokts (estimated 3400 fps from muzzle). He dropped in his tracks and never moved. The shot was a quartering shot, and I put it just behind his leg.

Well, I could not find an exit hole in him. When I skinned him so that I could butcher him up, I found the jacket in his rear quarter under the skin. The bullet never entered the chest cavity and just moved along the ribs and under the skin. All that was left was the jacket, the core was gone.

So, now I only shoot premium bullets from this gun. I am affraid that I will loose game due to bullets that fail. That is why I am not sure of the Berger's, as they are very fragile. I have some of the Barnes LRX and Nolser E Tips to load and try. I just need to find the time, between work and 2 young kids it is very hard to get this done.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post

I thought I was having powder issues with rl25 this summer with the 171 barnes match I was griping about. Turned out it was the bullet puking from the heat. I'm back to rl25 and 140 nos a-bonds in my stw with 140 sierra's and rl22 for kicks.
The retumbo and 171's are actually working in the 7rem I have rather well.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Guys my Rem 700 7 STW anti cant device led.
are left-handers with both eyes open I see the led in scope
the led is calibrated +-1
My 2 cents.

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-dscn1648.jpg
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

GNAS, your level is (LED) not a bubble? I was thinking that would be easier to read while over the scope. Where did you get it? Nice rifle, what kind of scope and reticle do you have? Do you like the setup?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

It seems that I have to be content with shooting the 180g Bergers seated way out. I shot 2 seperate groups this morning both seated to fit the magazine and 1 of them with slight crimp to see if that changed anything. The crimped group still shot better than the non crimped group but both groups were 2" or bigger at 100yds.

Seated out to .003" off the lands, the groups are about 3/4" So I'll Crimp those and it may help tighten those loads up. (Butterbean's idea)

In the meantime. I'll start looking for another load more suited to being magazine length.

Dan