Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Sako7stw, congrats on the elk tag, and on the house you are building. I did get my Sako 75 to shoot, but she is finicky. My present load that is very repeatable, is 79.6-rl22 -140 TSX@ 3.702 OAL. Velocity is right at 3408 ave. SD, and ES very low. Also had good luck with 75.5- rl22-162 Hornady A Max. I am told, but can not verify that these WILL do the job on deer and elk. Additionally, I got some 160 Speer Grand Slams to shoot pretty good also, with the same load. MY rifle has shown me that it likes RL22. it did not care for H1000. I have since that time been using RL25 in two other STW's and they love it. Have not tried it in the Sako. Overall, I am really charmed with the performance of the TSX's. I am confident that when November rolls around, that when the hammer drops, so will the deer. Pretty fed up with tracking wounded deer, shot with other bullets. Another load that I have ran into, that seems to show good promise repeatedly, is 79.4-rl25-154 Hornady Spirepoint. I don't know if they make it any more, but I have two boxes of them. They have always had a good rep. My own all time favorite loads 79.3-rl22-140 nosler CT, 215 fed. Primer @ 3.660. That load my friend is like dead deer lightening. ( they never usually hear the shot). My Sako was hard to find it's sweet spot. Just be careful on you OAL. It may fit in the mag, but you can sometimes not be able to remove a loaded round if need be.

Is the CT bullets you are talking about the Ballistic Silvertips? I tried them very first and they were exploding! I shot a cow elk several time at 550 yards and all she would do is flinch a bit like something was bothering her. We couldnt figure it out. No blood no nothing, she just walked off into the trees. I went home and put a milk jug filled with water at 400 yards and shot it. The jug looked like it was shot with a shotgun with only tiny pieces of the jacket in the jug. I was running 84gr. of H-1000 on that load.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
I always end up with the RL22 just like the way it feels I reckon, Take care
Funny how powders are like that. I noticed how some powders will "feel" nice to shoot and others not so much. The H-1000 with the 140gr Nosler BST I mentioned in my last post kicked so hard I had to go pick up my teeth I swear before i got my brake installed. I need to get out my powder burn rate chart and study it some to make a decision on where to start.

I am headed to Las Vegas the first week of Aug. and i think I am going to stop off at Barnes and talk to someone on my way if timing works out ok. The LRX is speaking to me, calling my name, and the TRG-S is slobbering in anticipation!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
Is the CT bullets you are talking about the Ballistic Silvertips? I tried them very first and they were exploding! I shot a cow elk several time at 550 yards and all she would do is flinch a bit like something was bothering her. We couldnt figure it out. No blood no nothing, she just walked off into the trees. I went home and put a milk jug filled with water at 400 yards and shot it. The jug looked like it was shot with a shotgun with only tiny pieces of the jacket in the jug. I was running 84gr. of H-1000 on that load.
Yes, those are the same bullets you blew up. In my own experience, they do come " un- glued " somewhat, but not to that extreme. What was your velocity? The CT is actually a BT with the Lubalox coating from Winchester.
I would recommend the TSX bullets , or the other monolithic types that Barnes has. They will stay together for you. Also recommend the Nosler Partition. Nothing walks away from those.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

Would one of you guys that shoot elk with the STW please answer RIVERMAN as to his bullet question on elk.All I shoot down here is deer and coyotes with mine.............thanks guys,I know you'll put him straight.........PD
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
My elk rifle just took a dump, the Krieger barrel has finally given up on my 300 Weatherby. I have a new 7STW as a backup. I have killed one small 5X5 raghorn with a 30 caliber 180 Accubond at 300 yards. The bullet penetrated the rib cage and exploded. Dead elk but I'm glad I had a broadside shot !

Has anybody out there actually shot a bull elkwith the 7mm Accubond 160gr. bullet ? If so at what range and how did the bullet perform?
Riverman, I have never killed anything with the Accubond,I could never get them to shoot in anything, but I have killed an Elk with the 160 Nosler Partition, Dead on the spot,Thats what I would use if it were me....... I know it works and I know its a little old fashiond in this day and age but it has proved itself time and time again,I feel sure that the Barnes TSX would be up to the task but I have never taken anyting bigger than deer with it
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Riverman, I have never killed anything with the Accubond,I could never get them to shoot in anything, but I have killed an Elk with the 160 Nosler Partition, Dead on the spot,Thats what I would use if it were me....... I know it works and I know its a little old fashiond in this day and age but it has proved itself time and time again,I feel sure that the Barnes TSX would be up to the task but I have never taken anyting bigger than deer with it
I tell you what, get a box of 140 accubonds for your stw, load 'em to 3400 fps with about 82 grains of rl25 and a 215 in win brass(or 81 in rem brass), and set the bullet to .1" off the origin. I've seen three rifles in a row do well with this combo. My sendero killed a couple of critters for me with this load, one a large white-tail doe at 500 yards.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Has anyone used AMAX's on deer, hogs or Elk?