Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Just got mine....Winchester Laraedo LRH,I have been looking for one of these for a while,Anyway Leupould VX-2 3x9x50 is on the way to Oregon for as Mil dot retical and M-1 turrents,Got some Barnes 140 TSX and Combined Technology 140's, Never shot the Barnes but really like the CT's in my 25-06 but havent loaded anything yet for the STW ,Seems like RL-22 is a go to powder for the STW any thoughts and loads would be great, Deer and Hogs in NC and Elk in Oregon This fall
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Just got mine....Winchester Laraedo LRH,I have been looking for one of these for a while,Anyway Leupould VX-2 3x9x50 is on the way to Oregon for as Mil dot retical and M-1 turrents,Got some Barnes 140 TSX and Combined Technology 140's, Never shot the Barnes but really like the CT's in my 25-06 but havent loaded anything yet for the STW ,Seems like RL-22 is a go to powder for the STW any thoughts and loads would be great, Deer and Hogs in NC and Elk in Oregon This fall
You dawg, you scored big time! Those things shoot very well! A friend of mine owns a model 70 Winchester Sharpshooter in 7 STW. It has a McMillan stock, and a Schneider barrel. Talk about making you drool! Your set up is what I would like to end up with. I am building one from scratch. Read the thread previous to yours. Nice catch, enjoy, and welcome to the Brotherhood!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, 7 STW.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Butterbean, was this the Winchester Laredo that was on Gunbroker? Your gun does sound nice.

I have always liked the Laredo's and Sharpshooters, just have never owned one. I do have two Featherweights though, a 7mm-08 and a new stainless 30-06.

As for Elk, you might want to step up to a 150gr or heavier bullet. I have only shot factory loads in mine, but will soon start to get a load developed for mine. I am hoping my gun likes the 150gr Nosler E-Tips.

For the hogs, either of those should be good.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black67 View Post
Butterbean, was this the Winchester Laredo that was on Gunbroker? Your gun does sound nice.

I have always liked the Laredo's and Sharpshooters, just have never owned one. I do have two Featherweights though, a 7mm-08 and a new stainless 30-06.

As for Elk, you might want to step up to a 150gr or heavier bullet. I have only shot factory loads in mine, but will soon start to get a load developed for mine. I am hoping my gun likes the 150gr Nosler E-Tips.

For the hogs, either of those should be good.
Black I found it at my local gun store,When I saw it I grabbed it a was not about to let go of it til I could get to the cash register
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
You dawg, you scored big time! Those things shoot very well! A friend of mine owns a model 70 Winchester Sharpshooter in 7 STW. It has a McMillan stock, and a Schneider barrel. Talk about making you drool! Your set up is what I would like to end up with. I am building one from scratch. Read the thread previous to yours. Nice catch, enjoy, and welcome to the Brotherhood!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, 7 STW.
Yeah Dude I couldnt believe I found one.......and thanks for the welcome
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ea View Post
The best way to solve the problem is to put a scope on her and see what it will do. You may want to leave it the way it is if it will shoot, the 300 ain't bad. I bought a Rem. 700 BDL LH in 338 WM around 12 years ago with all purposes of rebarreling to 7stw because it is hard to find a LH mag. Action down here. The first thing the gunsmith told me to do is "you better scope it to see if it will shoot first, I bet that 338 will shoot". Guess what? That rifle shoots almost as good as my built rifles, so I left it the way it is. I will cut a whitetail to pieces if you don't watch your shot and I have learn to really like the caliber.
FE
Im a WinMag fan ........Id leave it be Brother and find another to take apart
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

Butterbean, it is amazing of what you can find at times at the local shop. Most around me don't have guns like that

Hope to hear more about it soon.