Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I have 60 once fired Winchester nickel plated cases and 50 unfired Winchester plain brass cases. Can anyone give me advise on using this brass? How does Winchester brass compare to Rem? Do you think I should be able to use the plateed & un-plated brass interchangeably?
The win and rem may take slightly different loads, but both are good brass. The win brass has slightly thinner necks, and has different bullet pull as a result. So work your loads in each brass to be sure it works well. I've had a great load in one turn to an o.k. load if I switch brass. The win nickle is a brass I havn't worked with, but as a rule nickle is a bit stiff, so it may be closer to the rem brass that regular win.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Lefty
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM

I am building an stw now on a 700 action with a shilen select match barrel sendero contour,the action and bolt are being trued, the barrel fluted, a holland brake installed and I just ordered an H-S stock. I am planing on toping it with a vx-3 4.5-14 cds. I'm planing on keeping the original trigger as it's the old one they got sued over and it's really nice, as nice as my other feather weight delux anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I gotta get to New Zealand someday and see the land and maybe hunt. Thanks for chiming in.
You and anyone else would be most welcomed to come and hunt here in New Zealand.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kday.338rum View Post
I am building an stw now on a 700 action with a shilen select match barrel sendero contour,the action and bolt are being trued, the barrel fluted, a holland brake installed and I just ordered an H-S stock. I am planing on toping it with a vx-3 4.5-14 cds. I'm planing on keeping the original trigger as it's the old one they got sued over and it's really nice, as nice as my other feather weight delux anyway.
Sounds like the makings for a good rig......what twist rate did you order?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
You and anyone else would be most welcomed to come and hunt here in New Zealand.
Thank you for the invite Bear
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I hate to tell you, but if you are loosing rem stw brass because the primer pockets are loose, your pressures are high. I've worked with 4 7mmstw rifles, and one had a strain guage. We have never lost a primer pocket in 1000's of rounds without a drastic overload. I've worked with win, rem, and federal brass, and it's all been fine if it is loaded properly.
Yes you are 100% right, I strongely advise to all 7mm STW users against using this load in their rifles.