Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
std Rem brass
In reference to my first post, I just realized those were older cases that you WERE having problems with, BEFORE you made the change. If that is true, dis regard my last post, but by all means, at least take heed to the implications, and what happens when belted mag cases are not sized properly. Enjoy, and do be safe.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Yea, these have been bumped back by .010 at least, when I first started.
What I would really like is a neck die that bumps the shoulder, then a match grade seater.
I still have 130 new cases so I will start from scratch tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
std Rem brass
Bob, You have some serious issues there And the wheels are about to come off of it ......With all of the brass trouble you are having Im gonna second 7stw in thinking you have a chamber thats about maxed out....... and he is right about having custom dies ground but you are at a point that you need to do sonething before you have a case faliure......nothing good comes out of that ......just dont wanna see you get hurt
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

BRASS,

There's some Remington on Gunbroker.

I can get quantity from my supplier if anyone needs it. Remington 7mm STW of course.

Anyone get more firings from Nosler than Remington? 25 count for $50 bucks is like 100 cases for $200. No deal there, unless it lasts twice as long as Remington.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Hey dudes, I just wanted to pass along a little something that I came up with, that is giving me amazing accuracy, and really good case life.
I came up with a idea, as to make a neck sizer die, that actually checks the body JUST A TOUCH, and the neck of course. So, I have a miriad of dies in my cabinet. I picked out a set of 7 mag dies, backed off the lock ring, and ran a 7stw case up into the die until I feel it bottom out. Lock the ring, and pretso' instant neck size die, that just kisses the body. The die that I am using is a RCBS fl die. What I do is put a case in the shell holder, run it to the top. Screw the die down until you can not go any farther. This should be the top. You can tell by the mark it leaves on the neck. Chambering is sweet. It has that perfect fit feeling to it, when you close the bolt. This die will contact all but the case head. It has worked wonders for me, and I just wanted to pass it along. I have been using it for a while, but wanted to work it for a while before I passed it along. I have used it on my two latest additions, and the both have shown response to it. Great case life. And a nice feel when you chamber. Albeit, you will have to at some point F/ L resize, to squeeze in the case head area a little, and then start over again with the NS die. I believe that it could ALMOST be set as a shoulder bump die, but the whole case is not being supported. I will think about that a little more first.
Take care guys, hope all is well. Two more weeks, then it's vacation, and crop damage control. Got a couple of " items " to break in!!!!!
This is actually a good idea for neck sizing a case. I've used a similar method when forming the first cases for 6.5-06 brass prior to having a 6.5-06 AI built so I could proof the gun and chamber. I necked down .270 Win Brass by using a .260 Rem FL die.

I have 3 sets of 7mm Rem Mag dies, so I will set one up to try this as well. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Dan
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Some good posting going on here, we all should be listening in. This subscription has a lot to offer. thanks all.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Some good posting going on here, we all should be listening in. This subscription has a lot to offer. thanks all.
You bet. I've been loading around 20 years and have owned about 40 rifles, and I'm still picking up a new or better way to do something once in a while here on LRH. I've lurked for years, but most of the time forums have those who simply HAVE to flame someone.
I'm not interested in a who's is bigger contest. Getting people on the right track with good loading capabilities and safe, accurate stuff should be our primary concern. That is done pretty well here.