Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads)

LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads) Hunts with fellow LRH members using long range friendly outfitters

HUNT REPORT -- ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM
PUBLISHER

re: HUNT REPORT -- ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013

The following are comments by the outfitter, Robb Wily about his recently completed elk season. The pictures are of 2013 elk hunter trophies, some our group's, some not.

Quote:
The 2013 elk season for Non-Typical Outfitters produced some tremendous high mountain hunting opportunities. We harvested some great public land bulls. Our high bull to cow ratio provided everyone with multiple bull opportunities, some hunters had chances at over 20 bulls on their hunt. Everyone may not have seen the big old bull in range, but got to see a lot of elk regardless of the week. We did knock down some real trophies ranging from 280 to 340. With one old 5 point bull, you have to throw score out the window, and just admire his huge frame, 23 inch thirds and wicked eye guards. We helped some first time elk hunters bag their first bulls. Our archery hunters shot arrows at multiple bulls over the 320 inch mark. The bow hunters had daily opportunities at bulls in range. We missed a number of bulls, rifle and archery combined, a 320 and a 350 to mention a couple. All in all, we had a tremendous year. Being physically and mentally prepared adds a lot to your opportunity when hunting western Wyoming. As well as being quick and proficient with your weapon in rough terrain, at close off hand ranges and long ranges combined.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-104_0229.jpeg   HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc00322.jpeg  

HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc00376.jpeg   HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc00380.jpeg  

HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc03055.jpeg   HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc03214.jpeg  

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-15-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
PUBLISHER

reserve 6
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc05840.jpeg   HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-dsc05881.jpeg  

HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-img_0616.jpeg   HUNT REPORT --  ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013-img_0648.jpeg  

Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

I'm booked for this hunt next year, those pics got me going. Nice bulls guys. I can't wait
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: HUNT REPORT -- ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundtroller View Post
The hunt was a lot of fun. The Greys River area is some of the best scenery in the Mountain West! The Outfitter was accomodating and well organized. The camp was spartan but clean and very comfortable. The guides were young, enthusiastic, and full of energy! The food was all home cooked and excellent. The horses were sturdy, safe, and quite the climbers.

The weather came back to bite us a little bit however. Day 1 was too nice with "blue bird" weather. The animals were high and not real active. However we glassed several herds with bulls to go after the following days. Day 2 brought rain and low clouds. I hate hunting in the rain, so I stayed in and nursed sore quads and a painful arse. One of the persistant hunters did however shoot a 5x5 bull that day! Day 3, 4, and 5 were snowy and socked in. Visibility was tough and the bulls spent a good bit of time in the trees. Despite this, two more bulls were taken at lower elevations and one was missed at long range (missed only because of a miscalculation of wind where the bull was bedded). We had hoped for the weather to clear the last couple of days which would have changed our fortunes for sure but it did not happen that way.

I never fired a shot, yet I had a great time. Seeing the country and getting more comfortable on a horse in the steep mountains were high on my priority list. We also saw several "monster" bucks that the area is famous for. They got my heart rate going faster than the bulls as well!!! Finally, it was fun to get to know, share stories with, and hunt with fellow "Long Rangers" from different parts of the country. We had lots of laughs! Len was a great host and provided a little entertainment himself as well. I would love to hunt with this group again and would also recommend Non-Typical Outfitters as well! They did their part... we just couldn't control the weather.

Finally, a word to the wise. Even with horses, the hunting in the high elevations and very steep mountains was very strenuous. Conditioning goes a long way to determining success on hunts with this outfitter. They will put you in position for success, but you still have to do your part, long range capabilities or not! I think most of us were feeling pretty "whipped" a good bit of the time.

Great trip!
Pretty much spot on summary of the hunt Todd. I had a great time as well hunting with you and spending time with the rest of the group. I certainly could of used another couple of months of intense training and still would of needed to take a couple days getting used to the altitude. The guides, cook, and horses (except for High Tower) were great. Robb and Brenda have a great camp and staff in a wonderful part of WY.