Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads)

LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads) Hunts with fellow LRH members using long range friendly outfitters

HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM

re: HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Thanks guys, just joined this LRH recently and can tell i'll be on here a lot, YEA. I'll have to catch yall on a hunt asap
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm a new member who has lived at 10,000 feet in Colorado's high country for the past 35 years. The drought up here (Eastern slope) has made for some very foul tasting deer meat that even Lipton's Onion Soup can't fix. However, they keep the Cinnamon Bears alive and minimizes the break-ins we've been facing the past 5-6 years (Aspen area has over 100 break-ins this year). Our snow depth is less that half of normal so far this year and it doesn't look like a good winter so more starving animals.

I can't remember this much wind since I moved up here in 1970. A couple of local LRHs have switched to .338s just to get some weight to minimize the drift. Weather patterns have become a factor in hunting up here. The Wyoming hunts seems to be very different experience for these guys.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

It's dry all over. Went to NM for MD earlier this year and the Mississippi at Joplin is nothing more than a creek. NM was dry as a fart, everything is brown.

It's dry here (in Michigan) too. Ponds are way down, tells me the groundwater is receeding plus I had a poor year for forage crops.

Gotta be raining/snowing somewhere.......
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

Smile re: HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Well the hunt is almost here! I understand a couple of guys couldn't make it. So be it. My goal is to make new friends and create lasting memories. Wish us good fortune!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
PUBLISHER

I am almost organized. Down to the last hour or so of laying out stuff, packing, etc.

Mugs, Call me in the afternoon to break up the road monotony. (920-379-2020) . I'll see you Saturday am.

I installed a "permanent" Wilson wireless cell booster in my Jeep. Works pretty well. I was surprised John Berger (outfitter) says he has very good Verizon reception at his building. Plenty good enough for email and some web use. Our tent on the mountain won't have any of course. That's a good thing. I have a sat phone for emergencies.

I talked to his son Jacob Berger yesterday for a half hour. He had gone back home to Iowa for a week. He had a baby 4 days ago. He'll arrive today probably, maybe tomorrow.

His guides will be doing last minute scouting the rest of this week. Jacob ran into the F&G biologist 10 days ago on the trail. Was told there are a good number of big deer this summer in the immediate area where we'll be hunting. It was a good summer for antler growth. Lots of healthy fawns.

I won't be seeing the guys in MCO Camp #2 when they arrive. They'll be greeted by Rich. He'll take them directly to their camp. But I'll get over there mid-week or so to visit and to see who gets bragging rights. Assuming I kill early enough, of course.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 09-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 AM
PUBLISHER

After re-reading my post I need to clarify my typing. The hunt starts on Sunday, Sept. 15. I am meeting you all on Sat. the 14th.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

Len,
How did the hunt go? You should post some pictures.

Thanks,
Todd