Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads)

LRH Group Hunts (ADMIN Initiated Threads) Hunts with fellow LRH members using long range friendly outfitters

HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM
PUBLISHER

HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Quote:
The HUNT REPORT is near the end of this thread.

You can CLICK HERE to go to the HUNT REPORT.

-- Len Backus --

On the last day of my high country mule deer hunt last fall I just knew I had to go back. This land is some of the most beautiful hunting land I've ever experienced. It is a long range hunter's dream destination with shot opportunities from a couple hundred yards to -- "way out there". And this is with a cooperative outfitter who knows first-hand from his experience with me, that long range hunters can be trusted to take long shots on game.

Horses are used to get around and to retrieve animals. Then on foot we have the option to move along the tops of high ridges at 8,000 to 9,000 feet of elevation, looking down into likely bedding areas with lots of time spent glassing. We sleep in large wall tents and eat way too much really good food.

The hunt area is Region H in western Wyoming in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Now through 9-30-12 is the time of the year that Wyoming sells preference points that can be utilized in the 2013 draw. Typically, with one point you can draw a regular "full price" deer tag in H. With the more costly "Special" license you probably would still draw with NO points.

So I just went online and bought a point for myself. Purchase Preference Points Online (Must use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your browser)

At this time it seems we'd be hunting the season's first week, around September 15, 2013. It is a nice, small operation and we'd have room for 4 or 5 of us long range hunters in total.

Read about my 2011 hunt HERE

The outfitters website can be found HERE

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

re: HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

That looks like a great hunt Len. It sure would be fun to tag along. Horseback and staying in the hills with a Muley tag would be awesome. I am not sure I can budget this is though. It sure sounds like a place to test out the rifle I am getting from Shawn. I will give this some thought.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

I hunted Wyoming last year and took a trophy mule deer and an antelope... your advice about getting a preference point right now is important. It will almost guarantee tags for 2013. I have elk tags for me and my son for this fall in Wyoming and we hope to fill both of them. Love it out there!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Len

I have hunted that area before it's a great adventure. Killing an animal is a bonus. I have never hunted mule deer there just elk. My outfitter and guide were extremely surprised when I shot a 6x6 bull elk at 1103 yards. It was quite the adventure coming back to camp with all the wolfs and grizzly bears we encountered. There is a group of 6 of us going out this year. Our hunt dates are Oct 6-13. I hope both our hunts are successful.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Nice pics,it takes me back for sure. Where in region H are you snapping these photos
Lapuatom
Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

I may just look into seeing if I can pull this off and join you. It would be great to meet you and some of the rest of the LRH gang.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Keep us posted as things develop. I have the points, just not the luck!