Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Defensive Edge Video Content

Shawn Carlock's 1016 Yard Black Bear Kill- Long Range Hunting & Shooting video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shawn Carlock's 1016 Yard Black Bear Kill- Long Range Hunting & Shooting video

Awesome clip! Can't watch them enough.

What camer does Shawn use??

Jeff
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Sponsor

Re: Shawn Carlock's 1016 Yard Black Bear Kill- Long Range Hunting & Shooting video

That one was shot with a consumer grade JVC HD digital. A great little camera. We have since regeared with a professional grade Sony and 40x optical zoom (ouch).

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Shawn. Great stuff! Is there a certain foremat that works better? Like WVM ?

Also was the 950 shot on the Muley done with the JVC? That clip is great and I have watched it so many times my wife can resite the script..

These type vids is what got me into LRH and now I am hooked.

Thanks! Jeff
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

Jeff,

The 950 shot is actually a whitetail. It was shot with the JVC HD and was the first really good piece of footage we got for the "How To" video. Glad you liked it. Tip with the small cameras is to get a rock steady tripod or your footage will suck.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

foreign - "im not sure if i agree with shooting bears but very nice shooting"

Here in the Pacific Northwest - black bears are plentiful. Have to shoo 'em away from fish camp and deer camp sometimes. Literally thousands of the darned things, no shortage, and folks here eat them. The hides are great trophies, and the meat can be good. Or not, depending...

They're just another game animal here, some hunters will shoot them, others aren't interested. Just wanted to clarify, in case you thought they were endangered or something. Decidedly not endangered. Plentiful. A worthy game animal too.

Regards, Guy
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

hey guy thats fair enough. i could imagine that the fur would be very nice. i think that i probably disagree with shooting grizzly bears and the other large species more since a grizzly is probably not scared of a person and would just as easily decide to eat you. just thinking about this and it seems like i shouldnt be hard to get close to a grizzly. ofcourse i have no experience in this though.. i have just seen a video where this grizzly was just walking down a river eating sedge and what not and known that this hunter was there and he walked with in 20m of the hunter and then was shot. hardly seems fair a big magnum vers a living animal. if you were being stalked by the bear things would get far more exciting. i was actually born in south africa and lived there for most of my life and we used to drive with in 5m of lions. ive been on the back of a ute( truck with flat back) with lions chasing hares around the ute. just thing that hunting a big carnivor that is not scared to be close to you may be not real fair. deer and such are different since they are scared of you..but black bears could be scared of people, im sure in places where they are hunted they are. i have just been pretty close to some in canada that makes me think else wise. we could always hunt then by ourselves with a spear like the 13 yr old african boys used to hunt lions.

not trying to take away from shawns shooting. if i could hut a car at that distance id be very happy......
i know this may disagree with what others view and when i come to canada next year no doubt i will eventually en up shooting a black bear. but dont think i could shoot a mountain lion or such. there just so amazing and gracefull. no offence meant to anyone

Last edited by foreign; 09-19-2008 at 05:43 PM.