Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Holland Guns Video Content

Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Lightvarmint

Re: Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeper View Post
Just out of curiosity...
With a brake ported on 3 sides i would expect it to force the barrel in the direction of the unported side (downwards). I can see that some downward force might be good, but if the brake can hold the recoil of a magnum calibre with the force of the gas against the (what looks like +-10degree) angled baffles, i would expect 3 times that in the downward direction?

Any thoughts on this? (no intent on hijacking a good thread)
The forces seem to equalize themselves since there is not any noticeable muzzle jump or muzzle "squatting"....

Most folks I think would expect to have to hang on with a death grip for a monster like this... However, a two finger hold is all that is required to manage it during recoil....

If you want a comparison, I have a Kelbly Cub 6PPC benchrest pistol that was built to compete in the Shooters News pistol championships.... The original owner was Tom Libby and the pistol was actually in several magazine articles. The pistol has no brake.

The 6PPC has more actual movement of the pistol than the 300 Dakota with the Holland's Radial brake when shooting off the same bench at the same target by the same shooter....

Both have rifle scopes so the eye relief is short. I have been bit by the 6ppc, but not by the 300 Dakota.....

These brakes simply work fantastically.

James
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Bronze Member

I've been thinking about this and i think my reasoning was wrong to start off with. I assumed the forward force was created by the gas escaping at the slightly backwards angle almost like propelling a rocket. A now beleive the actual forward "thrust is created by the gas traveling away from the shooter and hitting the brake baffles in a forward direction. The sideways blast is secondary to that and most of the energy is tranferred before the gas leaves the brake.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeper View Post
I've been thinking about this and i think my reasoning was wrong to start off with. I assumed the forward force was created by the gas escaping at the slightly backwards angle almost like propelling a rocket. A now beleive the actual forward "thrust is created by the gas traveling away from the shooter and hitting the brake baffles in a forward direction. The sideways blast is secondary to that and most of the energy is tranferred before the gas leaves the brake.
Here is another comparison for you....

I have both styles (Standard and Radial) of Darrel's brakes on handguns...

One is on a .308 Wichita that shoots 180gr bullets.

The other is the 300 Dakota shooting 210 grain bullets.

The .308 with the standard brake and 180 grain bullet recoils such that you do have to have a good grip on it for control.

The 300 Dakota only requires a two finger hold for control and it is shooting 210 grain bullets faster than the 308 is shooting 180s.

With the exception of actually switching the brakes around (not planning on that at all) this is probably the closest comparison that I could share with you.

It is all about "opposite" actions and reactions....

James
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Thanks the 375/284 would shoot a 270 gr bullet 2400 fps.

flyfishn
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Lightvarmint,

Riflescope on a handgun? How do you shoot these handguns - always from a bench?

I have 2 - 14" Encore barrels that were recently built by Bullberry Barrel Works with the Holland Quick Discharge brakes - 7mm08 and 300/221. Have scoped the 7mm08 with a handgun scope, but haven't scoped the other barrel yet.

I am intrigued and wondering the benefit and how you feel about the functionality with the riflescope? Do you use fixed or variable power?

csumpm
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
SPONSOR

I know it sounds crazy, but we do it all the time.
Hopefully this link will help:
It is an article about using high magnification scopes on specialty pistols.
Enjoy!

Handgun Hunter Magazine - Rifle Scopes On Specialty Handguns

If you have any questions about my article, please ask.