Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Holland Guns Video Content

Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by slymule View Post
Ernie, I'm curious about something. I can understand carrying and shooting a handgun because of the weight reduction and ease of getting thru thick brush for hunting. What I'm curious about is why choose to shoot a handgun if it weighs 11 pounds? If that heavy, why not just use a rifle instead and reap the benefits of higher muzzle velocity? Just curious on your reasoning is all.
slymule,
That is a really good question.
Some of my other SP's are in the 4-6 pound range (one or two may be lighter). When I had Kirby build this I had multiple purposes for it: LR pd shooting, LR benchrest matches, and hunting. Plus, I didn't know what to expect recoil wise, so add to that some fear, since I planned to use high magnification riflescopes from the get-go.
Really what I need to do next is have a lightweight barrel for hunting, especially in the hills.
As far as why not use a rifle, is simply I like the challenge of shooting a specialty handgun over a rifle. For me, it is fun.

My other "heavy handgun" was specifically set-up for shooting LG at 1K BR matches. It is in the 16 pound class, jewel trigger/no safety, McMillan rear-grip stock. i also use it for pd shooting as well and popping steel.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

"As far as why not use a rifle, is simply I like the challenge of shooting a specialty handgun over a rifle. For me, it is fun."

I figured it would be something along that line, after all thats the name of the game - whatever trips a guys trigger.

Curious about something else also. When you order a barrel that short, do they charge you less for it, and if not, do you just order it in what would be a more common rifle length so you could cut it in half and end up with two barrels for the price of one?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
SPONSOR

Depends on the barrel maker. You can usually get a barrel that will finish between 14-15 inches quite a bit cheaper. Typically, if you are going for a longer one then you are stuck paying a for a full blank.
Some barrel makers would prefer you not to take a full length blank and cut it in two, especially if they have lapped a choke into it. In other words, one may not shoot as good as the other.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Hi
Just wondered where I can purchase one of these muzzle breaks for a Tikka T3 in 7mm Mag
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Bronze Member

You can by them from hollands but i called a couple of weeks ago and they said thay only have them made with the 3/4" thread right now. So if your barrel is big enough it will work
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Darryl told me a couple weeks ago that a 5/8's version of the big one would be available soon.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks Dave.
I knew there was another size but I couldn't remember for sure
E