Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Long Range Pursuit TV, Gunwerks, GSeven

G7 BR2 (Ballistic Rangefinder 2000) rangefinder video intro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: G7 BR2 (Ballistic Rangefinder 2000) rangefinder video intro

Got my G7 rangefinder 2 days ago. I put 2 different ballistic curves in. They correspond almost exactly with my validated drop charts. I ranged trees in a fairly hard rain at up to 800 yds. The only black cows I could find were ranged at947 yds on the first attempt. My 29 yr. old son was in the front seat on the passenger side closer to the cows and he ranged them on the first attempt at 946 yds.Later that day I acheived the longest range so far of a tree at 2355 yds. on the 1st try and 2356 yds. on the 2nd try.Those successes were extreme but I could reach out to 1940 on trees in bright sunlight. Overall I am more than well pleased with this product. Deer season opens here day after tomorrow and I will be using it daily for the next two months. Gary Campbell
Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraedge View Post
Got my G7 rangefinder 2 days ago. I put 2 different ballistic curves in. They correspond almost exactly with my validated drop charts. I ranged trees in a fairly hard rain at up to 800 yds. The only black cows I could find were ranged at947 yds on the first attempt. My 29 yr. old son was in the front seat on the passenger side closer to the cows and he ranged them on the first attempt at 946 yds.Later that day I acheived the longest range so far of a tree at 2355 yds. on the 1st try and 2356 yds. on the 2nd try.Those successes were extreme but I could reach out to 1940 on trees in bright sunlight. Overall I am more than well pleased with this product. Deer season opens here day after tomorrow and I will be using it daily for the next two months. Gary Campbell
Ok so it's a good range finder. How about the ballistic functions? Do you use a BDC turret or MOA?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM
PUBLISHER

Your choice of both.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

I don't understand the turret or reticle concerns. It seems to me it just outputs your data and you dial it in however you need to. If I had the cash I'd certainly try the rangefinder!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure who you are referring to. For me, part of the benefit of this rangefinder is that it allows you to store your ballistic profiles in the rangefinder. So it will quickly obtains atmospheric conditions and yardage then applies it to the selected ballistic profile for a very quick and complete output. The problem for me is that the unit won't output to MIL, which is what I use, so in some ways the ballistic profile part of the unit is a waste for me.

Part of the concept of this unit, for me at least, is the time and weight savings you get by not having to range with one unit, gather atmospheric conditions with another, then input all of that info into the third unit you have to carry, a pda to get a proper dial up or hold over, etc.

It will still output angle compensated distance so I would just have to use it as a standard rangefinder.

Scot E.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

I don't post a lot, but I received my BR2 last Friday. I was able to read the manual and get it all set up for my ballistic profile in less than an hour. Took it out to shoot on Saturday late morning. I could easily range anything I wanted including antelope in the prarie grass at 1000 to 1800 yards (perhaps 20% cloud cover). I also ranged trees and hillsides beyond 2000 yards. There are 4 different target acquisition options for various senario's. Standard, Continious, Nearest, and Furthest. These allow the user to ignor non-target objects in the foreground or background etc. I set up to shoot my 300 RUM and ranged the target with both the BR2 and Leica 1200 at 889 and 890 yards respectively. The BR2 also gave a compensated range of 880 yards. There was a slight right to left wind value which I chose to ignor. I dialed my turrets to 875 and three bullets later I had a 4 inch group that was near perfect height and about five to six inches left of center. I know that 9 yards isn't a lot of compensation for incline and pressure but that's all I had to work with at the time. I am heading to NM to hunt coues deer later in the week and will hopefully have some more feedback after I return. So far the BR2 has met my expectations and is everything and more than I hoped it would be!