close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Long Range Pursuit TV, Gunwerks, GSeven

Air Density Adjustments For Ballistic Drop Reticles Or Turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
PUBLISHER

Air Density Adjustments For Ballistic Drop Reticles Or Turrets

What do you do if your custom ballistic drop compensating scope turret or reticle doesn't match your atmospheric conditions?

Shooting Tip Correcting Air Density - By Aaron Davidson of GSeven

Unread 01-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Air Density Adjustments For Ballistic Drop Reticles Or Turrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
What do you do if your custom ballistic drop compensating scope turret or reticle doesn't match your atmospheric conditions?

Shooting Tip Correcting Air Density - By Aaron Davidson of GSeven

Just so that I am clear, in the example of the video, you would add or subtract both temp and elevation combined correct. So if there was 2 MOA for elevation change and the temp was 20 degrees colder then I would add another 1 MOA bringing the total to 3 MOA difference than what the scope was sighted in at...please clarify and thanks.
Unread 06-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

No
The guy that did this video needs to review this thread:
Altitude vs. Barometric pressure
He needs to stop making generalizations with altitude, and start measuring/using actual air density parameters: absolute pressure, temperature, relative humidity.
These directly affect both BC, and MACH (which again affects BC per velocity)(Mach is temp and Rh).

Drop compensating gimmicks are already compromising to accuracy. You don't need additional errors on top of it.
Unread 09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Good video. You can do all the steps recommended...

OR get a Kestrel/AB 5700 ELITE that, with your correct input of ballistics before the hunt and input of distance during the hunt, will calculate all of this for you and give you a very accurate firing solution.

I use Bushnell's ARC 1 Mile 10 x 42 LRF binoculars for correct distance whether horizontal or angled.

Eric B.