Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

why do shots drop more when shooting at a small incline at extreme range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: why do shots drop more when shooting at a small incline at extreme range?

It has do with the actual distance a bullet travels through the air. Of course. But now I am more confused because if I enter a negative angle, hold over declines. Following the arc of a bullets path, a negative would lengthen the actual distance travelled correct? Now my holdover went from 141.5 to 138 with -7degrees. Why?????
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

I assume this is gravity helping the downhill shot, but I would like a more detailed description from some one who knows.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Guys, when shooting at angles the line of sight is a longer distance than the actual horizontal distances. For our purposes gravity only effects the projectile for the shorter horizontal distance; therefore, if you enter the line of sight in your software it will give a larger value for the holdover causing the Rd to go high.

You really don't need to worry about inclination angles unless the angle is fairly steep or you are shooting at extreme range. I did the trig on a 5 degree inclination at a mile and there were only a couple of yds difference in the LOS vs the horizontal distance.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Oh, it matters not a whit if the inclination is uphill or downhill. If you enter your LOS distance on a steep slope up or down your Rd will strike high. It's all about the distance gravity acts on the projectile not the LOS.

If you want to get very deep into the subject there is another part to the puzzle but it seems to be negligible and we have other things far more important to worry about.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Augustus;680271

If you want to get very deep into the subject there is another part to the puzzle but it seems to be negligible and we have other things far more important to worry about.[/QUOTE]

......there are much more important things, and at that range, I think finding a proper drag curve is number one. So.... let' say I'm shooting my 10 shot groups and I enter 5.9 degrees when it was negative 5.9. My calculator says flat is 2964", 5.9 is 2918, and -5.9 is 2978 @ 2000 yards. No joke here. A five foot difference between uphill and downhill. Now using the wrong angle, my drag curve would be far enough off to be confusing. The scientist generating the formulas seem to know about something we don't.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

You sir, are more than a mite confused. There is no way in hell there is a 5 ft difference in your solution when shooting uphill vs downhill at 2000 yds with a 6 degree slope. If the LOS is 2000 yds the horizontal distance would be around 1989 yds. That is 11 yds difference, if you use LOS distance for your input your POI will be 11 inches high regardless if you are shooting uphill or downhill. This info is for my 375 Chey-tac. I have a couple of locations at 1770 yds and 2000 yds, the slopes are just a shade over 6 degrees. I have fired many rds from both ends of the ranges, trust me, there is not any difference in the solutions.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Augustus, i am confused. You are a more experinced shooter, and i assume more skilled shooter, than I, and your knowledge is more valuable than my findings that may never affect my shooting. That said, I am just relaying info. It is there, you are missing two key points.
First is that am talking about the difference between uphill and downhill. You may have understood that, but make sure to use the negative sign in the calculations.
Second point is EXTREME distances. The 375 cheytac is amazing and makes extreme much less extreme compared to varmint cartrige.
So I implore you to try two things: Calculate your 375 at 3000 yards at both uphill and downhill angles of 6degrees, and also try my 223 load with g7 bc of .208 at 2890 fps.
I know how ridiculous 2000 with a 223 sounds, I am just using it as an example to show that at extreme distances things vary between uphill\downhill shots.
(Ballistic FTE predicts 70" difference between 6 and -6degrees for rm 375 rbtat @3400fps at a range of 3000 yards. I thought that was interesting.)