Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

Since I know how well this rifle shoots, I expect half MOA out of myself. I know the rifle is capable of that and more. Since I know how well the rifle can shoot if I do my job, I don't really worry about group size anymore. I worry about where each individual shot lands on different occasions.

If I can go out on different days and put in my elevation and windage from my ballistic app and get that round to hit inside or very close to the 10" kill zone circle at different ranges then I am happy with my shooting.

What good does it do me if I get a 2" 4 shot group at 1300 yards if it's 20" from my point of aim? All that tells me is I messed up somewhere in my calculations.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Bronze Member

We shoot a steel plate that is 10" X 11". Gary's range is 500 yards to 1400 yards.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.-img_1166.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Most long range hunters strive for .5 moa. So at 1200 in good conditions a 6" 3 shot group is good in most cases in field conditions off a bipod prone.

Jeff
id say that would be better than good. it would be excellant when considering
many seasoned shooters dont shoot that well off concrete benches at 1000 yd matches. many of those that do dont do it consistantly.
besides a shooter is usualy happy with a good group regardless of location on the target. certainly a good score and a small group are the ultimate. but the group
is most saught after and that after sighter shots have been fired and there arent any
unseen tree branches in the way.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to think that once a rifle and shooter have a good understanding of one another the LR dance changes tempo. I rarely shoot groups once we dance well. After that I shoot cold bore first round solutions. For the LR hunting game it all matters but the shooter has to be more than trigger man.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I tend to think that once a rifle and shooter have a good understanding of one another the LR dance changes tempo. I rarely shoot groups once we dance well. After that I shoot cold bore first round solutions. For the LR hunting game it all matters but the shooter has to be more than trigger man.
im glad im reading this in the morning. this way i get to laugh all day.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
id say that would be better than good. it would be excellant when considering
many seasoned shooters dont shoot that well off concrete benches at 1000 yd matches. many of those that do dont do it consistantly.
besides a shooter is usualy happy with a good group regardless of location on the target. certainly a good score and a small group are the ultimate. but the group
is most saught after and that after sighter shots have been fired and there arent any
unseen tree branches in the way.
I believe match shooters are in a totally different league than long range hunters. Match shooters are shooting 10 shot groups (which is dang impressive for them to get as small a groups as they do) where as a hunter usually only shoots 3-5 shot groups. Match shooters are trying to get all their shots into that small X ring where as hunters are trying to put a shot in a 10-18" kill zone depending on the animal. A longrange hunter is trying to make that first round shot count where as a bench rest shooter gets sighters.

Long range hunters usually tend to use large caliber rifles with real high BC bullets to fight the wind easier than the smaller caliber rifles that bench rest shooters use.

A grouping is important for a hunter initially but after a while the first round hits are most important. Groups are fun to look at but like I said, if the real small group is 20" off of your point of aim then those shots are useless to a LR hunter. All it proves is that you did everything right behind the trigger but read the wind or other calculations wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that a bench rest shooter could get a large caliber rifle, get prone with a bipod and shoot a half MOA 3-4 shot group at 1000-1300 yards.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

For some reason I don't have a hard time remembering this is LR Hunter not Accurate Shooter. I do believe the group size arguement is relevant though. If a person shoots consistently in the .5 MOA range then the amount of time and effort to shoot .25 MOA groups is likely not as important as shooting .5MOA from dead center of the intended target under various conditions and terrain.