Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

What are you shooting at. I shoot at 880 yards regularly, using a 14 by 22 inch target hung dependent upon wind. That is the max range I can find, at least regularly. So I get out with a couple guys shooting at just over 1,200 yards they have set up a 4x8 peice of sheet metal with a couple dots painted. We all hit the target (first shot for me) my questin is what good is it to shoot at that large of a target. I'm sure I could hit a bus at a mile, does that translate into an ethical kill shot on any big game animal? Probably not. As I stretch my range I am thinking my target size is indicative of a reasonable kill shot. I am certainly not going to brag about hitting a sheet of plywood. Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

Hang a kill zone size circle of ar 500 (10 or 12") with chain or belting on that 4x8 sheet. Then use masking tape to cover old holes. Shoot on different days to tune your cold bore skill. The extra surface of the 4x8 sheet will able you to see where you are off or if there is a pattern to your point of impacts cold bore. Make notes with a sharpie by the misses as to distance and dates. Revealed miss patters are good things to know and work on. Undetected misses on a small steel hanging target tell very little and dust past a target at long range can be misleading. Plus I will take a measured miss on a vertical target for data, over a line in the dirt any day for dope correction.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Hang a kill zone size circle of ar 500 (10 or 12") with chain or belting
I do the above out to 1200 then 17" diameter @ a mile (cause that's what I have)

Haven't stretched it to a mile yet. Got snowed out.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I use a 24"x24" piece of AR500 steel. I cut out a 24"x24" piece of cardboard and have a 10" circle cut out of that cardboard that is perfectly centered. And I have a 10" circle of cardboard with a 2" circle cut out of the center of it. I spray paint the whole steel piece white, I put the 24"x24" piece of cardboard over the steel and spray paint the circle flourescent orange and finally I put the 10" cardboard over the orange painted circle on the steel and use white spray paint to paint a 2" circle in the center of the 10" orange circle.

Gives me a nice large target, a killzone 10" circle and a 2" bullseye that makes for a good aiming point. It's very easy to see. Have shot at 1800 yds and can see the target very well.

I strap the steel piece down on my atv and the rebar (target stand) gets strapped down on my atv gun rack. I have a very large hill south of my house. I ride up that hill a bit and set up the target. Since it is elevated, I can pretty much see it from wherever I want to shoot. There is an old jeep trail that runs up to the mountain on the southside. I could shoot out to 3 miles easily if I wanted too.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I don't see anything wrong with shooting a 4x8 back ground. It's the aim point and target on the back ground that counts right?

I just recently built two steel targets. 18" disc, painted white with flo orange center for aim point and a 14" x 24" steel. Both hung from strapping on a tube frame. The disc goes with me on the 4 wheeler or in the truck for gong anywhere fun.

Normally I just shoot rocks but most people are not that lucky to have a massive area to play. I tend to shoot where I hunt and in a wide variety of places. I get bored with shooting the same elevation, same direction, same wind, same slope, etc.

Recently to keep my wife interested we started shooting balloons. I blow up 7" balloons and tie them onto bushes etc all over and have her run the solution in the computer, dial the scope, and then shoot the solution. Clean up and packing of targets is ridiculously easy.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys, love the circle spray paint idea! What kind of groups are you excpecting at say 1,200.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Thanks guys, love the circle spray paint idea! What kind of groups are you excpecting at say 1,200.
Most long range hunters strive for .5 moa. So at 1200 in good conditions a 6" 3 shot group is good in most cases in field conditions off a bipod prone.

Jeff