Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

What Variable to change Wen truing my Weapon at Extended Ranges

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: What Variable to change Wen truing my Weapon at Extended Ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidersjoden View Post
Simple math.
So 2.27 inches should apply to me because I have a rem 700 action and 30mm tube right?[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to figure in the thickness of your bases if you're doing it that way.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
So 2.27 inches should apply to me because I have a rem 700 action and 30mm tube right?
Don't forget to figure in the thickness of your bases if you're doing it that way.[/QUOTE]

Are you joking, what are you referring to?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Simple math.
So 2.27 inches should apply to me because I have a rem 700 action and 30mm tube right?[/QUOTE]

The .68 inch (1/2 diameter of Rem action) and the .59 inch (1/2 the diameter of the 30mm scope) is correct.

You will still need to measure your ring/base height. If that is exactly 1 inch, then yes, the 2.27 inch figure will be correct.

I simply used 1 indh to make things easier to understand. All of my guns (Rem and BAT) wear 30mm NF scopes with 56mm objective lenses. So I am closer to 2.4 - 2.5 inches, depending on which one you measure. My 1000 yard HG is closer to three inches, but with that gun I don't care and have never even attempted to measure.

Last edited by 4xforfun; 05-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
So 2.27 inches should apply to me because I have a rem 700 action and 30mm tube right?

The .68 inch (1/2 diameter of Rem action) and the .59 inch (1/2 the diameter of the 30mm scope) is correct.

You will still need to measure your ring/base height. If that is exactly 1 inch, then yes, the 2.27 inch figure will be correct.

I simply used 1 indh to make things easier to understand. All of my guns (Rem and BAT) wear 30mm NF scopes with 56mm objective lenses. So I am closer to 2.4 - 2.5 inches, depending on which one you measure. My 1000 yard HG is closer to three inches, but with that gun I don't care and have never even attempted to measure.[/QUOTE]

OK, got it, thanks for the advice 4xforfun.

-Joden
Old 05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I simply used 1 indh to make things easier to understand. All of my guns (Rem and BAT) wear 30mm NF scopes with 56mm objective lenses. So I am closer to 2.4 - 2.5 inches, depending on which one you measure. My 1000 yard HG is closer to three inches, but with that gun I don't care and have never even attempted to measure.

-Joden[/QUOTE]

Unrelated question. When shooting at the range and doing my ladder test, between ladders is it ok to use a bore snake on my Bartlein Barrel, do bore snakes hurt the barrel at all being that they are dry or should I use a rod with a wet patch?

Thanks
Joden
Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

-Joden
Unrelated question. When shooting at the range and doing my ladder test, between ladders is it ok to use a bore snake on my Bartlein Barrel, do bore snakes hurt the barrel at all being that they are dry or should I use a rod with a wet patch?

Thanks
Joden[/QUOTE]

When you do a ladder test you want everything the same. I usually do multiple ladder tests..here is my method.

Start with a clean gun. Shoot the test at longer ranges if at al possible. Min 300 yards. i shoot mine at either my 750 yard berm or at 1000.

Shoot at least five sighter/fowler/warm up shots. You need the tube warmed up before the first shot. Time your shots.... if you are shooting a big hot rod that heats things up fast, or it is very hot and calm, take 2 min between shots. Try keep the tube ROUGHLY the same temp.

When you are finished with the first....clean the gun...shoot the fowler/warm up shots and run the test backwards...high to low.

If you shoot a third..do it all again.

The point is that you want to keep all of the parameters of the tests as close to the same as you can. I don't worry about the wind, a tripple ladder test might take a couple of hours. And don't look at how groups of the same powder charge did, look for clusters of shots of DIFFERENT CHARGES that clumped together on the same target.

Good luck,

Tod
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post

Thanks
Joden

When you do a ladder test you want everything the same. I usually do multiple ladder tests..here is my method.

Start with a clean gun. Shoot the test at longer ranges if at al possible. Min 300 yards. i shoot mine at either my 750 yard berm or at 1000.

Shoot at least five sighter/fowler/warm up shots. You need the tube warmed up before the first shot. Time your shots.... if you are shooting a big hot rod that heats things up fast, or it is very hot and calm, take 2 min between shots. Try keep the tube ROUGHLY the same temp.

When you are finished with the first....clean the gun...shoot the fowler/warm up shots and run the test backwards...high to low.

If you shoot a third..do it all again.

The point is that you want to keep all of the parameters of the tests as close to the same as you can. I don't worry about the wind, a tripple ladder test might take a couple of hours. And don't look at how groups of the same powder charge did, look for clusters of shots of DIFFERENT CHARGES that clumped together on the same target.

Good luck,

Tod[/QUOTE]

Great info, thanks for the help Todd