Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Test Driving The Defensive Edge LRMK 338 EDGE + P

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Test Driving The Defensive Edge LRMK 338 EDGE + P

Darn it broz, ive had a canyon rifle on order that should be done in a couple of months. This whole time ive withheld temptation on the plus p but you make me want one. I hope I don't regret Not going with the lrkm! maybe I'll do that one next! Anyway, if u were doing a canyon would u do a plus p, or standard?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
Anyway, if u were doing a canyon would u do a plus p, or standard?
It all depends on its intended purpose and whether or not I was going past a mile. At this point I definatly see a plus P being an advantage. That said we both have seen the 338 EDGE Canyon rifles perform and they are a sweet rifle. But I guess I see no reason to not go plus P. If you ever wanted it it would be there.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing this info, especially the picture with cheek weld looking through the scope. I had thought there may be some issues with cheek weld but it looks better than some traditional stocks I have seen.

It is funny, you mentioned it was sleek and more compact than you thought it would be. That is the first thing I saw in that picture as well. there just isn't much there once you get on the stock and your trigger hand wrapped around the grip. Very streamlined!

In the picture I see that your off hand was holding the support piece at the rear of the stock. Did you like that concept? A lot of shooting would have to be done at various positions and inclines, etc. but after looking at it I would think you could almost eliminate the rear bag and just use your hand a little if needed to slightly raise or lower the rear. This at least in theory has a good chance of minimizing potential for error and could tighten groups vs a larger bag in field conditions.

I have been planning on my next build being a light weight carry 38 in 338-06 or 338 Win Mag but with the compactness of the LRKM and the extra velocity the +P allows I am really thinking about changing my plans. This gun has been gnawing at me for a while now. I am happy that you got a chance to shoot it!

Thanks for sharing.

Scot E.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Sponsor

Broz,

Glad I got to stop by and see you again (we he said his place is in the middle of no where he was right but it is a long range shooters paradise, coupled with what is going to be a very nice house and a lovely wife). Thanks for the input on the new platform and a great opportunity to shoot some different country. I'll try to call as soon as I get out from under the mountain of emails and phone calls.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Scott, I had concerns about cheek weld before I mounted this rifle. It just does not look like there is much there. I have what I call an anchor point where my cheek bone rides the cheekpiece on my long range rigs. I developed this hold because only one of my rifles has an adjustable cheek piece. I needed a repeatable hold and cheekweld that I could go to for every shot, and it works. If you are a bow shooter you know the importance of your draw hand being in the same place evertime (anchor point). Some use a "kisser button" in the corner of the mouth. I use a knuckle on my ear lobe. My cheek weld I have practiced for long range rifle is just as important. I was pleasantly surprised when the LRMK fell right into my normal cheekweld. If it hadn't I would have never put two into 1/2 moa at these distances without developing a new hold.

The rear of the stock.... I don't know if Shawn planned this but here is how I see it with my limied amount of shooting the LRKM. The back of the stock has a loop with a flat bottom. That loop is large enough to get your hand through. This offers a couple options. 1: The conventioal hold of the bag with my left hand. I always put the bag simply under the stock and my hand also under squeezing the bag. This will be good when shooting on the flat or down hill with the LRKM. 2: In a field position like pictured above, where you are shooting at a pretty good angle up you don't need much bag. Now add your hand under there and it is too much. So you can do as I was and lay your hand through the loop palm down and grasp the bag. Once I tightend my grip on the bag the rifle became very solid and the crosshairs were very stable. That position shooting up hill that far away can be a little tough, but even with the bipod up all the way it was very much solid on target.

I don't feel I would ever eliminate the use ofthe rear bag completely. But I do feel that this rifle would benefit from a little differet bag and also in most cases it could be a smaller one. But to be sure of that I would want to shoot the rifle in many more field positions and re-evaluate. I think Shawn and Bob are also of this frame of mind and may be working on a custom bag design.

In talking with a few long range shooters it seems there are several of us that are of the same mind set. So I will be blunt and admit the looks of this rifle was not my cup of tea. Well... not at first anyway. To me there are few LR hunting rifles that are better looking that the DE Canyon Rifles. They are beautiful with the added bonus of being bad to the bone at sending projectiles to the next hillside even when a ELR shot is required. I have seen it too many time to ignore. Plus they are repeaters. But with the longer shots becoming more of a reality in my world, the fact I haven't loaded a mag box for 4 years now, and the progression of rangfinders and ballistic programs in the last few years, I felt the need to look past my old school taste and look at my practical needs for these shots. Once I grabbed the LRMK and carried it a ways, then crawled behind it, the military design of it was starting to make a lot of sense. Then when I spotted the dust ball off a rock after a long wait for the Berger to go 2550 yards the love affair was on.

Like Shawn has said before. " The LRKM is not for everybody " But I sure am glad I remained optimistic about this rifle. I now have no second thoughts about it advancing my skill and success rate in the world of ELR.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 05-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Broz,

that was some good reading! very good! amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Also my mind is being changed. I promise you!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
In talking with a few long range shooters it seems there are several of us that are of the same mind set. So I will be blunt and admit the looks of this rifle was not my cup of tea. Well... not at first anyway. To me there are few LR hunting rifles that are better looking that the DE Canyon Rifles.
Jeff
Those have been my feeling exactly, but there are rifles I've gotten behind that I did not think I would like but the rifle practically put you in position and balance was so exceptional that the rifle felt light but it was dead when you looked through the scope. Your description of the LRKM is killing me, your going to let me have a turn when you get it right, buddy old pal

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"