Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Terrapin PLRF05 or PLRF10

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Terrapin PLRF05 or PLRF10

Has anybody tested the two units and is it worth double the price for the plrf10. I hunt in flat country but am finding the limits of Leica 1600. Would like to be able to range a whitetail at 1500. Any thoughts are appreciated. I see a lot of people using the terrapin but I believe Shawn Carlock is using the plrf10. Trying to buy once more and cry one last time.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Terrapin PLRF05 or PLRF10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
Has anybody tested the two units and is it worth double the price for the plrf10. I hunt in flat country but am finding the limits of Leica 1600. Would like to be able to range a whitetail at 1500. Any thoughts are appreciated. I see a lot of people using the terrapin but I believe Shawn Carlock is using the plrf10. Trying to buy once more and cry one last time.
I really want to compare them but have not. I welcome a side by side if anyone is close with a Terripin. When I bought the PLRF10's that Shawn and I are using the Terripin was not around yet. But after a long search through many top RF units with depressing results, the PLRF10 was a dream come true. Shawn felt the same way when I sent him one for his observation. He was testing high end surveying lasers at the time and once he got the PLRF10 in his hands I never got it back... The last time we shot together he ranged a rock he picked out for me at 2500 plus yards. As he laid the PLRF10 down he said " I love this thing".

I have actually heard reports of the Terripins ranging farther than the 10's. The 10 seems to have a report limit of 2999 yards. But it will do it on a regular basis and in many conditions. I want to see if the Terripin will do this on a regular basis along side the 10. I also want to compare beams in some tuff to range conditions to see which one works best or if they are equal.

As for ranging , and actually hitting a deer with either of these lasers at 1500 yards. Well be careful, the 10 might knock him down. And I feel the Terripin would be right there with it.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

I have the PLRF-5 I like it but it still will not range in the fog. What i would like is to get is some thing that i could put on it to dubble the powder. Joe
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. Broz is Shawn running a doubler or magnification enhancer on his? The pictures on his website looks as he is. Do you have the plrf10 on a tripod or is one needed?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
Thanks guys. Broz is Shawn running a doubler or magnification enhancer on his? The pictures on his website looks as he is. Do you have the plrf10 on a tripod or is one needed?
Yes, Shawn rigged his up to a doubler. That I am sure was a nice upgrade.

I don't use a tripod, I will stack sand bags or place a sand bag on top my scope while prone to stabilize it. Any laser rangefinder with a beam size precise enough to stay on a deer and only a deer at 1500 yards will need to be stabilized in some form or another. Off hand ranging at these distances is no different than shooting off hand or off your elbo's, there would be more luck than anything involved with a hit. Get them solid and stable for good results you can count on.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

I have the Terrapin and it is accurate beyond the supersonic envelope of any cartridge I have.
As others have mentioned rigging up a cowitnessed spotter or doubler is required to accurately get on the animal. I have seen both work.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Last week I ranged a rock at 3339 yards with the Terrapin. That's plenty long for me.