Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Success At +1000 yards!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Success At +1000 yards!

To all,

This spring and summer my father, brother and myself have been doing alot of long range varmint hunting getting ready for the big game season in late October.

We are all members in the Varmint Hunters Association and have been working at getting into the "down Range" clubs. We all got into the 500 yard club rather easily. My brother used his 7mm RUM to hammer a chuck at +620 yards and my father used my 6mm-284 to score at 523 yards.

I was able to score two hits on chucks also using my 6mm-284 at 713 yards in as many shots. Then I scored a hit at 902 yards with my 50 BMG.

For the last few weeks we have been going for the thousand yard club and have been having a little trouble.

The main problem we were having was with our drop charts not being set up correctly. Obviously you can not take the B.C. numbers provided from the bullet makers to set up a drop chart. We knew there would be a difference but had no idea that it would be that much.

After a couple weeks range testing my new drop charts, we headed out Saturday morning for the 1000 yard club.

Our first set up provided four shots at chucks but a slight cross wind played a bit with the 107 gr MK's out of my 6mm but I was able to land three of those rounds within inches of the chucks but no solid hits.

We moved to another hunting area and set up the gear and began glassing for chuck movement. There was nothing to be seen for about a half hour.

Finally my brother spotted a chuck sunning on a rock and I lined the Leica 1200 up on it. The range read 1055 yards so I looked up the range on the drop chart and it said to hold on the bottom post of the mil-dot which should give a bullet impact within .6" of aim point.

The wind was slightly blowing but it was directly at our back both at our shooting position and at the target.

I leveled the scope level and held the point of the bottom post dead on the chuck and began to squeeze.

I recovered from the recoil just in time to see the 107 land solidly on the chuck.

We watched the rock pile for several minutes and saw no movement so we headed down to see if it was indeed a kill.

Sure enough the chuck was laying dead just behind the rock he had been sitting on.

I was very happy, a kill at 1055 yards with only one shot.

Now we have to get my brother and father into the club. Then it will be off to the 1500 yard club adventure. I will need to invest in a longer range rangefinder before that though.

What are your opinions of the Swedish military surplus rangefinders of optical design.

Are they accurate enough to range a chuck at +1500 yards and get an accurate reading?

ANy opinions on these rangefinders would be great.

So for now I am happy with my 1055 yard shot and preparring for the next level. I will have to use my 50 BMG at 1500 yards until I build my 338 wildcat designed around the 300 gr MK.

Will keep you posted.

Again, any thoughts on extreme range rangefinders would be great.

Thanks for the advise!

Good SHooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Success At +1000 yards!

Fiftydriver that is some shooting [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] and to do it with only one shot.

When are you bringing out the 15 year old Scotch [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Texas,

This 6mm and my 50 BMG are really the only two "Long Range" rifles I own and have been the basis for my short long range shooting career. For the last few years I have been studying and practicing as much as possible to get proficient with these rifles.

The little six is flat out scary accurate at longer ranges. It has shot enough three shot groups at 500 yards that measured under one inch to prove its salt. I had problems earlier in the year with the occasional flier. My load of R-22 drove the coated 107 gr MK to right at 3600 fps out of the 30" Lilja barrel.

This I deduced was playing around the edges of bullet integrety with may cause the occasional flier, especially when the bore warmed up.

I dropped actually three grains off that load and now they average 3430 fps with nearly single digit E.S.

Through the last few years I have learned that extreme velocity is not all that important in long range shooting. Bullet drop is very predictible and easy to figure.

Since I dropped the load down, the fliers have gone away, groups have tighted a bit overall. In fact the first group I fired with the reduced load cut a 3/8" cloverleaf at 300 yards.

I also tweaked my drop chart to a more accurate B.C. and on my last practical range test, I set out four water filled milk jugs out at unknown(at the time) ranges.

Shooting from a prone position with a rear and front bag, I was able to connect four for four at 810, 820, 940 and 975 yards. A rifle like this really makes a guy feel good about his shooting ability but I know the rifle is doing the large portion of the work.

My 50 is not quite so accurate, let me say I can not shoot it as accurately as the 6mm. I have shot several 3/4 moa groups on paper out to 1500 yards with it with my best 1000 yard group a hair over 5 inches.

On milk jugs in the 800-1200 yard range it will score about 50 to 55 percent hits in perfect conditions. The misses are usually within a foot of the target unless I just flat did not do my part or did not have a good accurate range to look up on the drop chart.

Anyway, I will be starting to build my 338 wildcat here in the next month or so once the barrel gets here. Hope I can get her to shoot as well as my 6mm with the 300 gr MK's. If so, the 1500 yard club may get hammered next summer.

Thanks for the reply!

Good Shooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

Fiftydriver nice shooting. I have a Wild optical range finder and with practice you can range farther than we can shoot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Crow Mag
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Fifty, when are you going to start doing it with those specialty pistols of yours? I remember you from Accurate Reloading site.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Fiftydriver nice shooting!!
Still trying to make the 1000yd club with my Farley 243 Ackley. Every weekend here in PA it seems to bring rain so I have not got a chance to get past 1000, still at 740 with big yellow. Hopefully this weekend will bring good groundhog hunting/shooting conditions. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

.243 AI pictures
Old 07-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

mbianchini

email me at cullinanR@aetna.com. Want to speak with you.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!