Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

spotting scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: spotting scope question

Bullet holes at 1500? That is a pretty tall order! I have an 85mm 60X Zeiss and have time sitting behind the 80mm Swarovski as well. On a clear day when the light is just right I can see holes at 700-800. At distances further than that you simply don't have the ability to resolve detail that small, then you also have mirage and air quality to deal with. Can the military do it, probably.... Can it be done with even high end spotting scopes. I doubt it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

which goes to show there is always an exception kass.
by and large however angled scopes wont work well for twin applications.
you didnt mention the size of your objectives which could compound the problem.
none of these things are built for that purpose, some are easier to work with than others however due to size and shape. by rotating the scopes in the bracket a normal range of inter pupil distance can be obtained. then the bracket adjustment can allow for use by different individuals. normaly movment like this would have little to no affect on the alignment of the tubes. that can vary however depending on bracket quality. it would seem the same should be true while using both straight or angled tubes. but it isnt.

as you stated yours are a one person set. if another person with even a slightly different ipd readjusts them for their eyes they will be out of alignment. if they were mine id be locking them for your eyes only.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

I hit them with a stick then make them use my single kowa.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 PM

It is not just the spotting scope and how good the optics are or how much magnification there is the mirage or as optical scientists call it turbulence is a limiting factor on how small an object you can see at a given distance. Think about this, when the mirage is running heavy you may have a hard time seeing the X-ring much less a bullet hole. The limit on seeing bullet hole-sized objects at sea level is somewhere around 600-800 yards. That is why sometimes you can see holes in the target at 600 in the AM but as soon as the sun hits the ground and starts to heat up you no longer can.

If anyone says they have a spotting scope that will see bullet holes at 1,500 yards they are blowing smoke. The Army does not have scopes that they can carry into the field that can either, they have to fight the same turbulence that we do.

If you see an ad for a scope that says it will eliminate the mirage run away fast as they are trying to sell you a load a crap, there are ways of reducing its effects but nothing that will currently fit into a rifle scope. CounterSniper brand of scopes makes just such a claim along with quite a few others that are of similar truths kind of a fun web page to look at until you realize that some people believe the lies and spend good money on ...

I could go into excruciating detail about the process and ways of mitigating it but would bore and annoy everyone, suffice it to say that the limiting factor in seeing bullet holes at ranges beyond 600 yards is the atmosphere and not necessarily the optics.

wade
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Gold Member

i think the original question was about seeing HITS at extreme distance and not necessarily bullet holes.
theres a big difference.
that said mirage or moist air can have serious impacts on seeing hits way out there also.
for that matter a perfectly clear day with more than a few inches of snow isnt good either for seeing hits on the very long shots.
spending big bucks on better optics wont fix that.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM

yobuck, you got it right. What I am looking to see is hits on a steel plat that is painted bright orange with white targets about 15'' in size. It is a BIG plate but we still end up have to go check for groups which takes 20-30 min round trip. We would rather be shooting than riding.

hey guys off topic where can I find the best info on range finding with mil-dots? Thanks for the help as I have only been shooting long range for less than a year... Dang this is expensive, but ALOT of fun.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Try doing a search on using a remote camera that feeds the image back to your shooting location.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.