Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

spotting scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM

spotting scope question

My question is what if any spotting scope will spot hits at 1500yds? I am shooting in north florida and the mirage is a killer. All I have now is the cheaper stuff and it is good enough for 1000 but every scope or spotting scope i have access to will not get the job done even when humidity is low. Thanks for any help
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: spotting scope question

I mostly use a Kowa TSN 661 (45) with a 25x LER eyepiece. Clear, a little too much for finding furry targets at lesser distances. Our humidity levels most of the year are going to hurt you to some degree no matter which scope you use. I have found that higher quality/lower power in a scope works for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

eastern hunters/shooters face more issues than do western hunters/shooters
due to air clarity caused by humidity.
we could argue for a month over which scope is best. fact is the most expensive scopes wont perform well on (HIGHER) power either when the humidity factor is high. the only answer is to lower the power in order to obtain a clearer image regardless of scope or objective size.
air quality will make spotting hits at very long distances even more difficult.
in some places like pa for example, counting points on antlers is a requirment.
that adds even another issue to the dilemma.
good eyepieces and not necessarily the most expensive scope can be very helpfull. unfortunitly many scope manufacturers today only offer zoom eyepieces.
certainly some will challenge me. i would ask if theyve ever done a
side by side test under poor conditions with numerous scopes and eyepieces at the same time.
we have, and the answer is none work well especially on higher powers
with high humidity.
you will hear some say they can see bullet holes in a target at 1000 yds with their scope.
i will say yes you can in the white part not the black part and only on some days.
and on those days others with different scopes did also didnt they?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

I like my Kowa Highlanders
Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kass View Post
I mostly use a Kowa TSN 661 (45) with a 25x LER eyepiece. Clear, a little too much for finding furry targets at lesser distances. Our humidity levels most of the year are going to hurt you to some degree no matter which scope you use. I have found that higher quality/lower power in a scope works for me.
1+

I like a higher quality and lower power extended eye relief as well. They make different eyepieces for some of the quality ones. So if you had to you could "pack" a second one with and switch if needed. I like the angled ones but I made a "mistake" for me and bought a straight one. Each guy likes each kind. Kinda depends on use and preference. I think im going to possibly trade up to an angled Kowa. Seems likes lots of guys like them. Maybe Ill get skinned saying that but just my observations.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
I like my Kowa Highlanders
not much one could disslike about those mike. ive spent a fair ammount of time looking thru those also. how long have you had them and from whom did you buy?

as for angled spotting scopes remember they cant be mounted in pairs in a bracket. that due to inter eye adjustment and alignment issues. if your intentions are to always use it as a single thats fine.
the highlanders are a different animal in that regard. they adjust for that same as the old battleship binnocs.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Bronze Member

Mr. Yobuck I am disagreeing with only one of your statements to satisfy my developing OCD. Angled eyepiece scopes can and are paired up to form "big eye" systems. I have a set that I use for extended long range viewing, they allow better field of view, making it very easy to notice movement and detail,they allow longer and easier days of use by lessening "brain strain" on my eyes. That said, they are a pain in the ASS to setup, normally are only then " right" for that person and then are easy to bump out of adjustment I would recommend them only to the "varmint shooter" types that "set-up" and overview large areas.