Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Spin drift and Coriolis at 1000+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spin drift and Coriolis at 1000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Seems like we know that there is a vertical component of coriolis when shooting E - W and W - E, but there is no horazontal (windage) element...when shooting in any direction???

REALLY????

Question....on the shooter program, is there a "seperation " between spin drift and coriolis? If I turn the coriolis off, I get zero windage at 1500 yards. I show no correction for spin drift. if I enable the coriolis, I get .4 MOA Left, no matter which direction I am shooting. Is that spin drift, coriolis, or both?? I get elevation changes ( with coriolis enabled)depending on direction I am shooting.....that is an effect of coriolis....but no affect on windage???
Yes, there is a windage correction for CD too. It is dependent on Latitude and azmuth. I think your SD is not working due to lack of entered info in your bullet data.

You can choose one or the other, none or both. SD alone should be .5 to .75 moa at 1000. My 300 win with a 210 shows 1.0 moa at 1500 for SD alone. Coriolis will either add or subtract horizontal drift to SD when both are on. For example at 1500 with coriolis on and shooting 280* azmuth I get 1.4 moa and 1 moa of it is SD.

To get your spin drift to work, and I will assume CD as well, you will need to have all and proper bullet data entered. That means bullet Dia.,weight, and Length too.

If you do not have bullet length entered that could be your problem. Hold on the bullet file, select edit and fill in the blanks then save.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, there is a windage correction for CD too. It is dependent on Latitude and azmuth. I think your SD is not working due to lack of entered info in your bullet data.

You can choose one or the other, none or both. SD alone should be .5 to .75 moa at 1000. My 300 win with a 210 shows 1.0 moa at 1500 for SD alone. Coriolis will either add or subtract horizontal drift to SD when both are on. For example at 1500 with coriolis on and shooting 280* azmuth I get 1.4 moa and 1 moa of it is SD.

To get your spin drift to work, and I will assume CD as well, you will need to have all and proper bullet data entered. That means bullet Dia.,weight, and Length too.

If you do not have bullet length entered that could be your problem. Hold on the bullet file, select edit and fill in the blanks then save.

Jeff
Like the song says.....WHOOP THERE IT IS WHOOP THERE IT IS..... I didn't have a value for bullet length!!! Since this was Brians' baby, I assumed that he would have the bullet lenghts automaticly listed for berger bullets!!!

I know...I know.....You know what they say about " assuming".

Gabage in, garbage out!!!!

Big thanks, things are making WAY more sence now!!!!

Tod
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Big thanks, things are making WAY more sence now!!!!

Tod
Good deal!!! Glad to help. Hey, how do you think I knew what was wrong..

Jeff
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Don't forget to include your rate of twist. You will need this for an accurate SD equation.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Lots of good info here. And from what I saw at my first shooting at 800 yards......these guys were on the money.