Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Spin drift and Coriolis at 1000+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spin drift and Coriolis at 1000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery1973 View Post
So, at 800-1000 yards, you would not worry about SD and coriolis?

So, at 800-1000 yards, you would not worry about SD and coriolis?

I ask because I just set up a range for 1100 yards and it is 208 degrees SW. I've only shot at 606 yards and I want to do all the work possible before I jump to 800 (then 1000 yards). I'm not finding a lot of material on the subject and this video has me concerned for 1,000 yards and hard to detect when we consider the 1/2 moa accuracy of a good rifle at this distance.

No, I stated earlier that I leave SD checked on as part of my shooting solution all the time. I only employ CD when going past 1200~1400 yards.

I choose to ignore that video as the data is indifferent to mine. My notes show the drifts, lifts and drops to be less at 1000 yards than shown in the video.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
No, I stated earlier that I leave SD checked on as part of my shooting solution all the time. I only employ CD when going past 1200~1400 yards.

I choose to ignore that video as the data is indifferent to mine. My notes show the drifts, lifts and drops to be less at 1000 yards than shown in the video.

Jeff
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
So this thing is telling me that in an east west situation I don't have any hoazontal (windage) coriolis?? Zero effect no matter which direction i shoot!!!!

That can't be right.

What gives???
You have something wrong in your settings I would guess.

Here are the number I ran for my 300 win. and support as to why I do what I do in reguards to using Coriolis at 1000.

Looking at elevation only here at 46* latitude where I live and hunt. A shot with a perfect West 270* azmuth for my 300 win at 1000 yards requires a dial up of 21.4 moa when corolis effect is included. The shot perfectly East 90* azmuth needs 20.9 when coriolis is included. So .5 moa difference. This is a worst case scenario shooting dead East or West. So in a worst case scenario I would shoot 2 1/2" high to 2 1/2" low and I am not sure I could detect why since my rifle shoots 1/2 moa at 1000. If I turn off the coriolis option to the solution the program says 21.2 at 1000. So it would be in error of .2 or .3 of a moa for the two shots.

1 click at 1000, I only wish I could shoot that consistant.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
, shooting north or south the earth will have rotated westward, hence the bullet will be to the right of target shooting north but left if shooting south.
FYI, bullet impact in the northern hemisphere is always to the right. Direction of fire does not matter. East and west do add a vertical component but there will always be a right hand impact.

To illustrate why it will have a right hand impact shooting north or south, see below.

Imagine shooting at a vehicle moving from right to left. If you fired while your crosshairs were right on target, your bullet would impact behind it or to the right.

You being the stationary component represent a shooter sitting on the North Pole shooting at a target on the equator. The target is moving therefore you miss.

Now envision that you're in the vehicle shooting at a target where you had been sitting. The vehicle is moving in the same direction as when you fired at it. You take aim and when your crosshairs line up with the target, you fire. Did you hit it? No. Why? Because your bullet is moving horizontally in relation to the target at the speed of the vehicle. When you fired, your bullet will impact to the right because the bullet was moving to the right when it was fired.

This represents you being on the equator shooting at a target on the North Pole.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
FYI, bullet impact in the northern hemisphere is always to the right. Direction of fire does not matter. East and west do add a vertical component but there will always be a right hand impact.

M
The trick is to not over think it. Take this ^ explanation and go with it. Otherwise you run the risk of your head exploding lol
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Seems like we know that there is a vertical component of coriolis when shooting E - W and W - E, but there is no horazontal (windage) element...when shooting in any direction???

REALLY????

Question....on the shooter program, is there a "seperation " between spin drift and coriolis? If I turn the coriolis off, I get zero windage at 1500 yards. I show no correction for spin drift. if I enable the coriolis, I get .4 MOA Left, no matter which direction I am shooting. Is that spin drift, coriolis, or both?? I get elevation changes ( with coriolis enabled)depending on direction I am shooting.....that is an effect of coriolis....but no affect on windage???
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Horizontal in every direction
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.