Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

She is here and she is one BAD *****!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: She is here and she is one BAD *****!!!

What land/groove config does that barrel have? Why would the 260's not stabalize? Is that a lawton action?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

1:9 twist . I do not think it will stabilize the short 260. It will stabilize 300-414 gr bullets.

As for the action I quote Builder Dave viers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Rifles View Post
Just to clarify a few things.
The bolt face on the action is .690
Case head is .675
Case body is .680 Just a slight rebate
Case is 3.050 long
Barrel tennon is 1.187 x16 tpi
Barrel shank size 1.350 to 1.450 is perfect
375VM2 stands for 2nd design, 40 deg shoulder

I have tested this round at speeds of 3700fps with 350 gn bullets. I had to tap the case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. No damage was done to the brass except for the extractor mark in the brass rim. I cleaned off the damaged part and reloaded the brass. This brass is built very strong.
The locking lugs are just as solid as a bolt with a M16 type extractor cut along side the lug. I use longer lugs on my bolts than Lawton or Barker does. I had some action tubes custom cut for me, i do all the final machining and build my own bolts to keep tolerances uniform. Barker was supose to make a VM action, but could not deliver.
I use a similar foot print as the Lawton 8000, makes it easier to get stocks. I have larger dia action tubes, but then you have to get into much larger stocks or Aluminum chasis. 1.625" and 1.700" for hunting type rifles i like to stay with 1.600" tubes and try to keep the weight down. The VM takes a longer barrel to burn the powder so weight can be an issue for some. 35" is the shortest i would use.
Lawton 8000 can be modified for the VM, the Siller TAC 408 can not. Stiller has an m16 type extractor and it cant be moved.

Cheers
Dave
Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

Man oh man that is a bad "bitch". Bet it will shoot as good as it looks. Great plan and execution.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP View Post
1:9 twist . I do not think it will stabilize the short 260. It will stabilize 300-414 gr bullets.

As for the action I quote Builder Dave viers.
I am very surpised that Dave goes with a 1.185" thread diameter on this. Personally, I think this is minimum with the Cheytac based wildcats and with softer button pulled barrels, I have noticed with top end pressures that 1.185 is marginal. Cut rifled barrels are fine.

With the larger case diameter and shoulder diameter I would think he would be recommending 1.250" thread diameters and a minimum of 1.450" shank diameter to control any possible chamber swelling which would result in extraction problems.

Maybe Dave is loading this one to lower pressures then his Snipetac wildcats as I know he loads them pretty hot. Just surprised he goes with this relatively small thread diameter for such a large diameter chambering. He may also only use cut rifled barrels which as mentioned, help a lot because they are simply harder. He may also use a good amount of body taper in his design which would also be needed for good extraction with high pressure loadings and the baring surface on this huge case.

Very interesting none the less.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com