Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Set my 1 Mile Gong

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Set my 1 Mile Gong

A little Googe Earth research indicated I may be able to get a mile setup from the same logging road where I shoot to 1200 yards.

A little leg work and the Leica 1600 proved it to be true. Ya Ra 4 me!

Storm coming through to day but go up early and the National Weather Service base image indicated there would be a break in the weather of sufficient time to get to the top of the mountain, 7000'.

The gong is 1" standard steel with a 17.5" diameter. Pretty much 1 MOA for the distance. I tend to set the goal pretty high because if I can't shoot MOA that far, I can't shoot that for.

The spot is nearly perfect. A 10 minute hike to the shooting spot, 6500' and a bit of a drive to within 50' of the target. But its steep 50'. I was breathing pretty hard by the time I got the 75" gong in place through snow drifts and the post set with everything hung.

Was hoping to get in a couple of shots but the weather blew in too quick. Got kind of wet.

Took some pics.

The mist can be seen in the pics. For those evaualting LRFs the Leica 1600 wouldn't range much beyond 800 yards under these conditions. During overcast daylight hours the 1600 would easily range the mile between the trees to the brush snow covered ground.

If the weather stays as it was last winter and I can scrounge up a snowmobile I'll be doing some 1 mile shooting one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Set my 1 Mile Gong-gong.jpg   Set my 1 Mile Gong-behind-gong.jpg  

Set my 1 Mile Gong-1mi-gong-shooting-spot.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Set my 1 Mile Gong

Thats awesome Roy...... That has always been a longterm goal of mine when I started this adventure we call LRH. To consistantly hit at a mile. If ya ever need a spoter when ya head up to take some pokes at it, let me know.... I think its supposed to start gettin cold and snowin in that high country by the begining of the week
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

PM me the grids, I'll help you ring that gong.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Bronze Member

That is awesome Roy! That terrain looks amazing for long range hunting/shooting. You've got snow there, its been in the 60's this week here. Miserable.

Was it you that had a video shooting steel buffalo, pigs, chickens with some nice background music going on? I've looked for that video for weeks and have searched to the end of LRH.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastshooter375 View Post
Was it you that had a video shooting steel buffalo, pigs, chickens with some nice background music going on? I've looked for that video for weeks and have searched to the end of LRH.
Maybe this is the one you are looking for. No music though. Rapid Access Targeting System (R.A.T.S.) By Dog-Gon-Hit Review

Weather has not been conducive to yote hunting. I'm really wanting to take this gizmo into the field. When adjusted properly so that it pivots smoothly its pretty nice.

The snow is above 6000 feet. Mud and yuck below that.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Roy... I'm amazed you can see that far.........

I'd give anything for some snow or rain here. It's drier than a popcorn fart.

Crossed the 'Old muddy' last weel in Joplin and it looked like a creek.

Things are bad, even worse than this summer but people can't see it because its winter so the foilage is off the trees.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you found a spot to reach out that 375 AM! I found a spot where we can reach it out to 1900 yards if we really tried but 1840 yards is much more convienant. Going to shoot there tomorrow, wish me luck!! Ill need plenty of it.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/