Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Scope Power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Scope Power?

I run a 12X on one, an 18X on one and a 24X on another. The 24X will allow a little better horn/antler detail. But, all 3 work well for the actual shooting at that distance.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
Just had a 6.5 284 Norma built with a 28 inch Burrux barrel...just wondering, how much magnification do i need in my scope to hunt out to 1000 yd.s? I am hearing different things, (from 10 power to 16). I would love to hear any ideas!
While I am in no way in the league of most here as far as extreme long range ,or even long range for that matter ill throw in my 2 cents as it was explained to me when I was in your situation. More power is great when your trying to reach out there but consider this...... Just cause the target is bigger in the scope doesnt make it bigger down range. You mentioned hunting out to 1000 yards. Does that include summer time practice with this same rifle, because the more power you use the more you pick up mirage and barrel heat and such. For this reason I would say 15 power is plenty to get ya to 1000.

Then theres the other side.... Your gonna wanna strech it past that 1000 sometime as we all get the bug haha..... So buy the best ya can afford for what ya wanna do..... now and later
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRedneck View Post
While I am in no way in the league of most here as far as extreme long range ,or even long range for that matter ill throw in my 2 cents as it was explained to me when I was in your situation. More power is great when your trying to reach out there but consider this...... Just cause the target is bigger in the scope doesnt make it bigger down range. You mentioned hunting out to 1000 yards. Does that include summer time practice with this same rifle, because the more power you use the more you pick up mirage and barrel heat and such. For this reason I would say 15 power is plenty to get ya to 1000.....

This is true however, on days when mirage is high, you can turn your high magnification optic down to remove the mirage. When the shot gets long or you just need a better look, you can't turn your 15x scope up.

t

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
This is true however, on days when mirage is high, you can turn your high magnification optic down to remove the mirage. When the shot gets long or you just need a better look, you can't turn your 15x scope up.

t
+1 ^ when i was shooting at 1840 yards yesterday i had to turn my 6.5-20x50 Mark IV to 10 power for two reasons, 1. Heavy to light mirage 2. i needed to hold 10 mils in the scope but there are only 5 at 20X so at 10X ive got 10 mils.

BTW shooting waaaay out there is fun!!

Happy shooting
Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post

t
This is true as well but what can ya see at 1000 yards on 20 power ya cant see on 14-15 power......I ask only because I beleive the stadia is true in my scope only on full power...so if I were to dial down for mirage then my wind hold would be off........ Am I thinking of this correctly...... Like I said Im still learning too. I would think if ya had a ffp scope get all the power ya can..... But if you get a second fp scope for shots out to 1000 limit the power to 14 or 15..... Welcome any flaws in my thinkin as the ffp sfp thing still has me confused........
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

... while others do it with iron sights. It simply amazes me and I never get tired watching it ...

(Yeah, yeah, yeah ... not the longest shot but amazing to say the least! )

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Redneck, if you are using a 2nd FP scope and some kind of ballistic reticle, then your holds will be off... unless you dial in corrections.
Then you better have turrets that are both absolutely accurate and repeatable.